Table of Contents
Alfresco Community Edition 201510 EA Release
These release notes provide information for the 201510 Early Access release of Alfresco Community Edition.
Early access releases are intended for interested parties to test new features, provide feedback, and collaborate on development. This release is not meant to replace the previous Generally Available release.
Care should be taken when upgrading any previous Alfresco Community version. Backup your Alfresco alf_data and database before upgrading, and read the documentation.
Download this release from the 201510-EA File List.
Further instructions are with the GA releases on the Download and Install Alfresco page.
The Alfresco supplied installers will install all you need to run Alfresco on your machine; which includes JDK, Tomcat, SOLR, Share, Google Docs integration, LibreOffice, Sharepoint module etc.
- JVM memory defaults to half system memory, minimum of 2GB.
- Latest OS patches are always recommended.
- The repository must be switched from jBPM to Activiti before upgrading to 5.1 from previous releases (see 'Feature Removals', below).
Goals for this Release
This is the third release of the 5.1 code line of the Alfresco Platform and Alfresco Share. It contains no new features since 201509-EA, but has bug fixes completed since the last release. Though still an EA release due to a lack of documentation, incomplete localization, and our impending release of a few new features, our test results make us optimistic that this release should be reliable in most circumstances. Early adopters might consider upgrading after completing their own tests.
There have been a number of security fixes in the 5.1 code line. Deployments of Community Edition with specific security concerns might consider upgrading to this release to take advantage of these fixes..
We expect the next Community Edition EA release to be in December.
Notable New Features
There are no new features since the previous release.
The page dedicated to Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 lists all the features in the 5.1 line of Alfresco releases.
- jBPM was superseded by Activiti, and has been removed.
- NFS was removed. You can help manage this code as an external module.
- Alfresco Platform 5.1.c (SCM tag)
- Alfresco Share 5.1.c (SCM tag)
- Alfresco File Transfer Receiver 5.1.c
- Alfresco Web Quick Start and Web Editor 5.1.c
- Google Docs 3.0.2 (SCM tag)
- Aikau 18.104.22.168 (SCM tag)
Upgraded 3rd Party Components
- Java 1.8.0_65
- LibreOffice 4.4.5
- PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- ImageMagick 6.9.1
This release contains all bug fixes since the Community Edition 5.0.d release.
- MNT-14125: Errors after upgrading to 5.0.
- ALF-21333: Problems with JDK 7. Note that we addressed the build problem so this release should work with Java 7. However, we are only testing on Java 8.
- ACE-4494: Java was upgraded in order to incorporate some security fixes.
- Many localization strings have been updated in this release.
The individual JIRA projects that contain the components of this release can be queried to get a complete list of issues addressed in this release since the previous GA release (5.0.d). Note that JIRA behaves inconsistently with these queries when you are not logged in.
- ACE: Improvements to Alfresco requested by product management.
- In this release there were no ALF, MNT, SHA, or AKU fixes beyond the previous release.
Prerequisites for manual install
- DB: MySQL 5.6 or PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- App Server: Tomcat 7.0.59
- Java Version: JDK 8 (installer shipped with JDK 1.8.0_65)
- LibreOffice 4.4
- This release is an Early Access and is still being tested.
- There is no updated documentation for this release.
- Not all strings in this release have been localized into all bundled languages, especially in Russian or Portuguese.
- Records Management 2.3.c causes problems with the search screens and page permissions. We expect to soon release Records Management 2.4.a which should be compatible with Alfresco Share 5.1.b.
- This release was built to be compatible with Java 7, but this has not yet been tested.
- Will not install on OSX El Capitan. (ACE-4374)
- Getting started link on the dashboard points to the wrong documentation. (ACE-4321)
Please refer to the Alfresco issue tracker for other known issues in Community 5.1.