Table of Contents
Alfresco Community Edition 201512 EA Release
These release notes provide information for the 201512 Early Access release of Alfresco Community Edition.
Early access releases are intended for interested parties to test new features, provide feedback, and collaborate on development. This release is not meant to replace the previous Generally Available release.
Care should be taken when upgrading any previous Alfresco Community version. Backup your Alfresco alf_data and database before upgrading, and read the documentation.
Download this release from the 201512-EA File List.
Further instructions are with the GA releases on the Download and Install Alfresco page.
The Alfresco supplied installers will install all you need to run Alfresco on your machine; which includes JDK, Tomcat, SOLR, Share, Google Docs integration, LibreOffice, Sharepoint module etc.
- JVM memory defaults to half system memory, minimum of 2GB.
- Latest OS patches are always recommended.
- The repository must be switched from jBPM to Activiti before upgrading to 5.1 from previous releases (see 'Feature Removals', below).
Goals for this Release
This is the fourth release of the 5.1 code line of the Alfresco Platform and Alfresco Share. This release contains bug fixes and the final new features currently planned for the 5.1 series of releases. Because of the new development, this release is expected to be slightly less stable than 201510-EA. It is recommended that you perform your own tests before upgrading.
In January 2016, we expect a release of Community Edition that will only contain bug fixes. This release is a candidate for 5.1 GA.
Notable New Features
- Virtual Folders
- SharePoint-Imitation as an optional proprietary module replacing VTI. This includes dropping support for MS Office older than 2010.
- bcrypt encryption of user passwords, which required the addition of new database table.
- Updated documentation
The page dedicated to Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 lists all the features in the 5.1 line of Alfresco releases.
In the 5.1 series of Alfresco releases, the following features have been removed:
- jBPM was superseded by Activiti, and has been removed.
- NFS was removed. You can help manage this code as an external module.
- Alfresco Platform 5.1.d (SCM tag)
- Alfresco Share 5.1.d (SCM tag)
- Alfresco File Transfer Receiver 5.1.d
- Alfresco Web Quick Start and Web Editor 5.1.d
- Google Docs 3.0.2 (SCM tag)
- SharePoint-Imitation 1.0-SNAPSHOT
- Aikau 22.214.171.124 (SCM tag)
Upgraded 3rd Party Components
- Java 1.8.0_65
- LibreOffice 4.4.5
- PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- ImageMagick 6.9.1
This release contains all bug fixes since the Community Edition 5.0.d release.
- MNT-14125: Errors after upgrading to 5.0.
- ALF-21333: Problems with JDK 7. Note that we addressed the build problem so this release should work with Java 7. However, we are only testing on Java 8.
- ACE-4494: Java was upgraded in order to incorporate some security fixes.
- ACE-4374: Will not install on OSX El Capitan
- ACE-4321: Getting started link on the dashboard points to the wrong documentation.
- Many localization strings have been updated in this release.
The individual JIRA projects that contain the components of this release can be queried to get a complete list of issues addressed in this release since the previous GA release (5.0.d). Note that JIRA behaves inconsistently with these queries when you are not logged in.
- ALF: Fixes to Alfresco requested by the open source community (often copied to another project to get assigned to a team).
- ACE: Improvements to Alfresco requested by product management.
- MNT (fixes to Alfresco requested by customers): all fixes included in this release were copied to ACE.
- SHA: Fixes for Alfresco Share
- AKU: Fixes to the Aikau UI library that Share uses.
Prerequisites for manual install
- DB: MySQL 5.6 or PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- App Server: Tomcat 7.0.59
- Java Version: JDK 8 (installer shipped with JDK 1.8.0_65)
- LibreOffice 4.4
- This release is an Early Access and is still being tested.
- Cannot save content from Microsoft Office over SharePoint ACE-4863. Because of this issue, the SharePoint-Imitation AMP is still regarded as a pre-release SNAPSHOT and will not be distributed through Maven. We plan on doing so in the future.
- Not all strings in this release have been localized into all bundled languages.
- Records Management 2.3.c causes problems with the search screens and page permissions. We are working on Records Management 2.4.a, which will be compatible with Alfresco 5.1.
Please refer to the Alfresco issue tracker for other known issues in Community 5.1.