Table of Contents
Alfresco Community Edition 201602 GA Release
These release notes provide information for the 201602 Generally Available release of Alfresco Community Edition.
Generally Available releases are intended for wide distribution and use. We believe this release is as reliable as the previous GA release, and has additional features and bug fixes.
Care should be taken when upgrading from any previous version of Alfresco Community Edition. Backup your Alfresco alf_data and database before upgrading, and read the documentation.
Download this release from the 201602-GA File List.
For download and installation instructions, refer to the Download and Install Alfresco page.
The Alfresco supplied installers will install all you need to run Alfresco on your machine; which includes JDK, Tomcat, SOLR, and LibreOffice. It also includes interfaces and extensions such as Share, the Google Docs integration, and the AOS module
- JVM memory defaults to half system memory, minimum of 2GB.
- Latest OS patches are always recommended.
- The repository must be switched from jBPM to Activiti before upgrading to 5.1 from previous releases (see 'Feature Removals', below).
Goals for this Release
This is the first GA release of Alfresco 5.1. All feature development for Alfresco 5.1 is complete, and we have completed our testing goals. This release benefits from the testing and feedback from people using the EA releases of Alfresco 5.1.
We currently expect a few additional 5.1 GA releases before we shift our development efforts to creating new features.
Notable New Features
Two important changes in this release:
- The Microsoft Office integration is contained within the AOS module.
- Virtual Folders were renamed to Smart Folders
The page dedicated to Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 lists all the features in the 5.1 line of Alfresco releases.
In the 5.1 series of Alfresco releases, the following features have been removed:
- jBPM was superseded by Activiti, and has been removed.
- NFS was removed. You can help manage this code as an external module.
- Alfresco Platform 5.1.e (SCM tag)
- Alfresco Share 5.1.e (SCM tag)
- Alfresco File Transfer Receiver 5.1.e
- Alfresco Web Quick Start and Web Editor 5.1.e
- Google Docs 3.0.3 (SCM tag)
- AOS Module 1.1
- Aikau 188.8.131.52 (SCM tag)
3rd Party Components:
- Java 1.8.0_65
- Tomcat 7.0.59
- LibreOffice 4.4.5
- PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- ImageMagick 6.9.1
This release contains all bug fixes since the Community Edition 5.0.d release.
- MNT-14125: Errors after upgrading to 5.0.
- ALF-21333: Problems with JDK 7. Note that we addressed the build problem so this release should work with Java 7. However, we are only testing on Java 8.
- ACE-4494: Java was upgraded in order to incorporate some security fixes.
- ACE-4374: Will not install on OSX El Capitan
- ACE-4321: Getting started link on the dashboard points to the wrong documentation.
- Many localization strings have been updated in this release.
- ACE-5056: Renamed Virtual Folders to Smart Folders.
The issues addressed specifically in this release are available in JIRA projects for the components of this release. Please look at the previous 5.1 releases to get a complete list of issues addressed since the previous GA release (5.0.d). Note that JIRA behaves inconsistently with these queries when you are not logged in.
- ALF: Fixes to Alfresco requested by the open source community (often copied to another project to get assigned to a team).
- ACE: Improvements to Alfresco requested by product management.
- MNT (fixes to Alfresco requested by customers): all fixes included in this release were copied to ACE.
- SHA: Fixes for Alfresco Share
- AKU: Fixes to the Aikau UI library that Share uses.
Prerequisites for manual install
- DB: MySQL 5.6 or PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- App Server: Tomcat 7
- Java Version: JDK 8
- LibreOffice 4.4
- Records Management 2.3.c causes problems with the search screens and page permissions. We are working on Records Management 2.4.a, which will be compatible with Alfresco 5.1. UPDATE: RM 2.4.a EA was released on March 21.
- The Alfresco SDK does not work with Alfresco 5.1 until version 2.2.0, which is currently under development. These are the instructions to access the release candidate. UPDATE: 2.2.0 was released on March 3.
Please refer to the Alfresco issue tracker for other known issues in Community 5.1.