Table of Contents
Alfresco Community Edition 201604 GA Release
These release notes provide information for the 201604 Generally Available release of Alfresco Community Edition.
Generally Available releases are intended for wide distribution and use. We believe this release is as reliable as the previous GA release, and has additional bug fixes.
Care should be taken when upgrading from any previous version of Alfresco Community Edition. Backup your Alfresco alf_data and database before upgrading, and read the documentation.
Download this release from the 201604-GA File List.
For download and installation instructions, refer to the Download and Install Alfresco page.
The Alfresco supplied installers will install all you need to run Alfresco on your machine; which includes JDK, Tomcat, SOLR, and LibreOffice. It also includes interfaces and extensions such as Share, the Google Docs integration, and the AOS module
- JVM memory defaults to half system memory, minimum of 2GB.
- Latest OS patches are always recommended.
- The repository must be switched from jBPM to Activiti before upgrading to 5.1 from previous releases (see 'Feature Removals', below).
Goals for this Release
This is the second GA release of Alfresco 5.1. All feature development for Alfresco 5.1 is complete, and we have completed our testing goals. This release includes bug fixes added to Alfresco after the first GA release and a GA release of Records Management.
This is likely to be the last GA release of Alfresco 5.1, as we are shifting our attention back to development of new features. Our next release will be determined by our development progress, but we currently think it is likely that we will have improvements to release in mid-June.
Notable New Features
Records Management 2.4.b. This is the first GA release of RM to be compatible with 5.1.
The page dedicated to Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 lists all the features in the 5.1 line of Alfresco releases.
In the 5.1 series of Alfresco releases, the following features have been removed:
- jBPM was superseded by Activiti, and has been removed.
- NFS was removed. You can help manage this code as an external module.
- Alfresco Platform 5.1.f (SCM tag)
- Alfresco Share 5.1.f (SCM tag)
- Alfresco File Transfer Receiver 5.1.f
- Alfresco Web Quick Start and Web Editor 5.1.f
- Google Docs 3.0.3 (SCM tag)
- AOS Module 1.1
- Aikau 184.108.40.206 (SCM tag)
- Records Management 2.4.b: The source mirror is currently broken, will be fixed soon.
- Alfresco SDK 2.2.0
3rd Party Components:
- Java 1.8.0_65
- Tomcat 7.0.59
- LibreOffice 4.4.5
- PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- ImageMagick 6.9.1
This release contains all bug fixes since the Community Edition 5.0.d release.
The issues addressed specifically in this release are available in JIRA projects for the components of this release. Please look at the previous 5.1 releases to get a complete list of issues addressed since the previous GA release (5.0.d). Note that JIRA behaves inconsistently with these queries when you are not logged in.
- ALF: Fixes to Alfresco requested by the open source community (often copied to another project to get assigned to a team).
- ACE: Improvements to Alfresco requested by product management.
- MNT: fixes to Alfresco requested by customers.
- SHA: there were no changes in the Share project for this release.
- AKU: there were no changes to Akau for this release.
- Records Management
- RM: Fixes for the Records Management module.
Important fixes since the 5.0 release:
- MNT-14125: Errors after upgrading to 5.0.
- ALF-21333: Problems with JDK 7. Note that we addressed the build problem so this release should work with Java 7. However, we are only testing on Java 8.
- ACE-4494: Java was upgraded in order to incorporate some security fixes.
- ACE-4374: Will not install on OSX El Capitan
- ACE-5056: Renamed Virtual Folders to Smart Folders.
Prerequisites for manual install
- DB: MySQL 5.6 or PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- App Server: Tomcat 7
- Java Version: JDK 8
- LibreOffice 4.4
There are no critical known issues for this release.
Please refer to the Alfresco issue tracker for other known issues in Community 5.1.