Alfresco Community Edition 201605 GA Release
These release notes provide information for the 201605 Generally Available release of Alfresco Community Edition.
Generally Available releases are intended for wide distribution and use. We believe this release is as reliable as the previous GA release, and has additional bug fixes.
Care should be taken when upgrading from any previous version of Alfresco Community Edition. Backup your Alfresco alf_data and database before upgrading, and read the documentation.
If you are upgrading from a release prior to Alfresco Community Edition 201512 EA, you might need to reset your 'admin' user password after upgrade. See SA-8.
Download this release from the Community file list 201605-GA.
For download and installation instructions, refer to the Download and Install Alfresco page.
The Alfresco supplied installers will install all you need to run Alfresco on your machine; which includes JDK, Tomcat, SOLR, and LibreOffice. It also includes interfaces and extensions such as Share, the Google Docs integration, and the AOS module
- JVM memory defaults to half system memory, minimum of 2GB.
- Latest OS patches are always recommended.
- The repository must be switched from jBPM to Activiti before upgrading to 5.1 from previous releases (see 'Feature Removals', below).
Goals for this Release
This is the third GA release of Alfresco 5.1. All feature development for Alfresco 5.1 is complete, and we have completed our testing goals. This release includes fixes to important security vulnerabilities, and a GA release of Records Management. This release only includes changes to Records Management, the Alfresco Platform, and the installer. Other components were not updated.
Please report issues with this release in the issue tracker. You can collaborate on this release in discussion section of this space. Other feedback can be provided by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is likely to be the last GA release of Alfresco 5.1, as we are shifting our attention back to development of new features. Our next release will be determined by our development progress, but we currently think it is likely that we will have improvements to release in mid-June.
Notable New Features
There are no new features in this release, though it does contain the important security fixes outlined in SA-8.
The page dedicated to Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 lists all the features in the 5.1 line of Alfresco releases.
In the 5.1 series of Alfresco releases, the following features have been removed:
- jBPM was superseded by Activiti, and has been removed.
- NFS was removed. You can help manage this code as an external module.
- Alfresco Platform 5.1.g (SCM tag)
- Solr 4.10.3 with Alfresco patches for 5.1.g
- Alfresco Share 5.1.f (SCM tag)
- Alfresco File Transfer Receiver 5.1.f
- Alfresco Web Quick Start and Web Editor 5.1.f
- Google Docs 3.0.3 (SCM tag)
- AOS Module 1.1
- Aikau 220.127.116.11 (SCM tag)
- Records Management 2.4.b: The source mirror is currently broken, will be fixed soon.
- Alfresco SDK 2.2.0
3rd Party Components:
- Java 1.8.0_65
- Tomcat 7.0.59
- LibreOffice 4.4.5
- PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- ImageMagick 18.104.22.168
This release contains all bug fixes since the Community Edition 5.0.d release.
The issues addressed specifically in this release are available in JIRA projects for the components of this release. Please look at the release notes for previous 5.1 releases to get a complete list of issues addressed since the previous GA release (5.0.d). Note that JIRA behaves inconsistently with these queries when you are not logged in.
- ALF: Fixes to Alfresco requested by the open source community (often copied to another project to get assigned to a team).
- ACE: Improvements to Alfresco requested by product management.
- MNT: Fixes to Alfresco requested by customers (many are private).
- SHA: there were no changes in the Share project for this release.
- AKU: there were no changes to Akau for this release.
- RM: Changes to Records Management.
Important fixes since the 5.0 release:
- MNT-14125: Errors after upgrading to 5.0.
- ALF-21333: Problems with JDK 7. Note that we addressed the build problem so this release should work with Java 7. However, we are only testing on Java 8.
- ACE-4494: Java was upgraded in order to incorporate some security fixes.
- ACE-4374: Will not install on OSX El Capitan
- ACE-5056: Renamed Virtual Folders to Smart Folders.
Prerequisites for manual install
- DB: MySQL 5.6 or PostgreSQL 9.4.4
- App Server: Tomcat 7
- Java Version: JDK 8
- LibreOffice 4.4
- The source code for Records Management is being moved from Subversion to Git, and we don't currently have a public mirror. This will be resolved soon.
- MNT-16259: Some installs need to change the 'admin' user password after upgrading. See SA-8.
- MNT-15795: CAS authentication via the external auth subsystem no longer works. This issue contains a patch.
- ALF-21607: Problems with SSO via Kerberos. This issue contains a patch to a number of related issues.
Please refer to the Alfresco issue tracker for other known issues in Community 5.1.