Projects and Teams BeeCon Hackathon 2017

Document created by afaust Moderator on Jan 27, 2017Last modified by afaust Moderator on Mar 9, 2017
Version 4Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Instructions

These are project ideas for the BeeCon Alfresco Developer Conference Hack-a-thon 2017.

For each project, you should consider addressing the following:

• The idea owner(s)
  • A brief description
  • Any prep work for the project, such as developer tools or skills participants should understand

Projects

SAMPLE PROJECT IDEA

Idea owner: <owner>

Description: <description of the idea, goals and potentially skill/software requirements>

Interested participants:

• <participant1>
  • <participant2>
  • Add your name here...

Result: <link to externally hosted result(s)>

Enhanced Rule Management

Idea owner: Jeff Potts

Description: Rules are a powerful feature of Alfresco, particularly because they can be created and configured by end users. Alfresco has had the concept of "shared rules" for quite a while, but if you do a lot with rules you quickly realize that there is a need for more functionality around this area. For example, if you have an existing rule and you want to convert it to a shared rule, you cannot easily do that. Similarly, if you have a rule that you simply want to copy to some other folder, there is not a good way to do that either. What if you want to take a rule and either link it or copy it to many folders? Today this must be done manually.

If anyone else is interested in working on this, I propose that we:

1. Standardize on where shared rules are managed, such as a directory in the Data Dictionary called "Shared Rules".

2. Create a RESTful API that facilitate rule management (I have already started this, I just need IP clearance from one of my clients).

3. Make UI customizations to Share that facilitate some of the use cases I've described above.

Interested participants:

• Jeff Potts
  • Add your name here...

Markdown Support

Idea owner: Jeff Potts

Description: How great is markdown? I know, right? But Alfresco doesn't have any support for it at all. At a minimum, we should add a markdown to HTML transformer and a markdown to text transformer. The latter would better facilitate search in markdown files. That would be very easy, so maybe this would be a good one for newcomers. We could also talk about what additional support might be useful. I like editing markdown in plain text, so I'm not sure an editor is needed, but I'm interested in your feedback. I may end up doing this before BeeCon for a client project. If so, I'll link to it here but will keep it on the list in case people want to work on enhancements.

Interested participants:

• Jeff Potts
  • Add your name here...

OOTBee Support Tools - New Features

Idea owner: Axel Faust

Description: One of the longer-living results from last year's hack-a-thon at BeeCon in Brussels is the OOTBee Support Tools project which brings admin console tools to Alfresco Community Edition. Since transferring the project from a personal project to a community-maintained status under the Order of the Bee, we have collected a list of assorted improvement and new feature ides. This project would aim at picking a couple of the ideas - or even come up with completely novel ones - and implementing them over the course of the hack-a-thon.

Interested participants:

• Axel Faust
  • Add your name here...

Result: GitHub repository

Attachments

Outcomes