Preview cannot show Microsoft Right Management files

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgrau
Member II

Preview cannot show Microsoft Right Management files

We have Alfresco 5.2 installed and some of the uploaded files are protected with Microsoft Rights Management Services (RMS). 
When we want to preview these protected files Alfresco can not display them and it shows the message "Can not load PDF content" (tested in Firefox, Explorer and Chrome).
These same unprotected files can be previewed perfectly. These protected files are office (Word and Excel) and if we open them outside of alfresco we can open them and save as pdf without problems.
4 Replies
kaynezhang
Advanced

Re: Preview cannot show Microsoft Right Management files

When you are using RMS client in your computer,all files are encrypted before saving into disk and also the encrypted version is uploaded into alfresco server.
When you preview theses files ,alfresco can't transform those encrypted files into pdf version.
if you open them outside of alfresco,then RMS client will decrypted first ,so you can open them and save as pdf without problems.

mgrau
Member II

When I open this files outside of alfresco and I save them as pdf, before convert to pdf this files I get a message informing me that the protection will be lost and I have to click OK.

Maybe, Alfresco cannot convert to pdf because the conversion is waiting to accept this message. To check it, I have thought in two options:

· Change the alfresco pdf transformer if it's possible to another that can convert.

· Get the alfresco programming code where alfresco convert to pdf and edit the code to ignore the information message.

If someone can guide me in one of this options I will be really grateful.

douglascrp
Advanced II

I'm not sure if you know it, but Alfresco uses LibreOffice to perform from MS Office files into PDF.

You should check, first, if LibreOffice can handle such files with the RMS protection enabled.

mgrau
Member II

I can open the files with LibreOffice but the content is unreadable (I think it's codified). However, I can open the file and convert to PDF (with the unreadable content too). I don't receive any error message/advice.