cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not a wrap-up for the Alfresco Devcon 2018

mromano
Alfresco Employee
6 0 2,339

First of all, if you never been in Lisbon go and visit it!

This is not a wrap up for the Devcon 2018, so I will be short on this topic: great community energy, amazing food, amazing people, amazing city, amazing weather, amazing talks and amazing organization!

My favourite things on this trip

Here you can find my slides

All the code from my Unified Javascript API talk

My favourite talks

Post Devcon conversation

For me, the best part of the Alfresco Devcon 2018 is the conversation that started after the conference and triggered by the following tweet made by Jeff Potts.
https://twitter.com/jeffpotts01/status/954052157480747013

I agree with him on the idea of coming all together to build a new and better application based on ADF, and I hope the content app could be a good base to start from

https://github.com/Alfresco/alfresco-content-app/

On this matter, we had Bindu kicking off the conversation on the Content app with this list of requirements https://github.com/Alfresco/alfresco-content-app/issues/179.

I personally invite everyone to join the conversation on GitHub and the community site.
In this phase, ideas and contributions are fundamental and most welcome because we are already discussing it and identifying which points can be covered by Alfresco engineers and on which points we are going to need the help of the community in order to achieve it.

Why do we need a new app?

• Front end development has changed since Share was created and developing applications on top of Aikau and Surf requires different skills and tooling from modern web applications.
  • Using more recent technologies with wide adoption makes it easier to find people skilled in them, will help grow our community, and will incentivize collaboration across communities with the exchange of ideas and solutions.
  • Today extension and software update model are too complicated.
  • Accelerate time to value.

My proposal to collaborate on the content app (I'm happy to discuss it and improve with any advice)

• Phase 1 - Submit proposals
  • Phase 2 - Internal review proposals in Alfresco
  • Phase 3 - Review proposals with the community
  • Phase 4 - PoC and investigating different ways of approaching extensibility in collaboration with the community

Is quite likely that as Alfresco we will not be able to cover all the requests from the community and we are going to need your help to achieve it, this doesn't mean that we will leave the community alone on these points, we will have Alfresco engineers supporting the community to achieve these goals.

If you have any idea on how to improve this proposal please feel free to comment.

About the Author
Mario is the Director of Engineering in Alfresco but he is still really much involved with the coding. Before Alfresco, Mario accumulated nearly 8 years of experience in developing software for large organisations, and in particular in developing microservices architecture. Mario is also the author of the Packt video course series about Angular 2, Spring 5 and Spring Boot 2 and committer for various open source projects. He's been coding since he was 10 years old and is currently based in London, but grew up in Naples the city where the pizza was invented.