AnsweredAssumed Answered

Large XLS files

Question asked by derek Employee on Oct 31, 2005
Latest reply on Oct 31, 2005 by derek
(from email)
While I was evaluating your Alfresco ECM release candidate version 1, I encountered an error while trying to upload a large (200mb+ excel file).  You may already be aware of this, but I just wanted to let you know.  I wonder if this error is caused by the database I am using rather than your software (I am using MySQL at this point, but when our company implements an ECM solution, we will be using oracle database). 

javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method of component with id add-content-upload-end:_id24
caused by:
javax.faces.el.EvaluationException: Exception while invoking expression #{AddContentWizard.next}
caused by:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Hi,

The text extraction used by the indexing is provided by the POI libraries.  There is, unfortunately, no way to stream-convert the XLS document: it has to be loaded into memory and manipulated in memory.  I can't really say how much memory you will need based on document size.  My initial guess is that N*2 MB would be a minimum.  This would be over and above memory required for the usuals processing.

If you have an alternative library available for extracting text from an XLS document, or if you wish to bypass indexing of the XLS documents, then feel free to recommend it to us.

The Open Office converter could also be used for XLS files larger than a given size, but this is slower than the POI libraries.

Regards

Outcomes