AnsweredAssumed Answered

Solaris 10 Installation Experience

Question asked by durianwool on May 17, 2006
Hi All,

Just like to share with you my install experience with Solaris 10 on Sparc:

Sun v120 server: SunOS cmstest 5.10 Generic_118822-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2

o Install Solaris 10.
(java version "1.5.0_06" came with this)

o Download and install mysql (server version: 5.0.21-standard)

- create 'mysql:mysql' user & group b4 running install
- run /opt/mysql/mysql/configure as per instructions, but mysql server will not start with default script.
- create /etc/my.cnf and to read:

[mysqld]
basedir = /opt/mysql/mysql
datadir = /var/lib/mysql

- check /etc/init.d/mysql:

# If you change base dir, you must also change datadir. These may get
# overwritten by settings in the MySQL configuration files.

basedir=/opt/mysql/mysql
datadir=/var/lib/mysql

- Mysql should start with

/etc/init.d/mysql start

o Install Alfresco by untaring the tomcat tarball. I untarred to /opt/alfresco

- Set env vars in .bashrc or other shell rc

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:.
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
export JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx512m -server"
- make sure /opt/alfresco/alf_data is not there. If it is, remove or rename it. Else you will/may not be able to login later.

- You will get errors upon starting, so
tail -f /opt/alfresco/bin/alfresco.log
to see what's happening.

- run Alfresco with

/opt/alfresco/alfresco.sh start

[root@cmstest:/opt/alfresco]$ ./alfresco.sh start
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/alfresco/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/alfresco/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/alfresco/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/java

The above message will appear quite quickly, but the startup sequence run in the background and takes a long time. Mine takes about 3 ~ 4 mins. Do a 'top' to see that java takes up most of the CPU processes during the startup. Alfreco Dev team: Would appreciate if there was more to indicate what's happening during startup!.

To know that the server is up already, you can also check if port 8080 is listenting:
[root@cmstest:/opt/alfresco]$ netstat -an | grep 8080

*.8080               *.*                0      0 49152      0 LISTEN

From /opt/alfresco/alfresco.log,  you may get the following errors:

* ftp port in use (remedy with 'svcadm disable svc:/network/ftp:default' )

* ImageMagickContentTransformer not available (This is OK)

* Failed to get local domain/workgroup name, using default of WORKGROUP
File server configuration error, NetBIOS SMB, TCP/IP SMB or Win32 NetBIOS must be enabled (I guess this is OK)

* Unable to login as Guest: Access Denied. You do not have the appropriate permissions to perform this operation.
Remedy:
- remove /opt/alfresco/alf_data
- also check this thread http://forums.alfresco.com/viewtopic.php?t=1158&highlight=md4+hash+trick

My startup /opt/alfresco/alfresco.log finally looked like this:
13:09:12,341 ERROR [org.alfresco.repo.content.transform.magick.AbstractImageMagickContentTransformer] ImageMagickContentTransformer not available: Failed to execute command: imconvert /opt/alfresco/tomcat/temp/Alfresco/ImageMagickContentTransformer_init_source_16395.gif  /opt/alfresco/tomcat/temp/Alfresco/ImageMagickContentTransformer_init_target_16396.png
13:11:59,068 INFO  [org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.PatchExecuter] Checking for patches to apply …
13:11:59,552 ERROR [org.alfresco.smb.protocol] Failed to get local domain/workgroup name, using default of WORKGROUP
13:11:59,552 ERROR [org.alfresco.smb.protocol] (This may be due to firewall settings or incorrect <broadcast> setting)
13:12:00,094 INFO  [org.alfresco.service.descriptor.DescriptorService] Alfresco JVM - v1.5.0_06-b05; maximum heap size 507.000MB
13:12:00,097 INFO  [org.alfresco.service.descriptor.DescriptorService] Alfresco started (Community Network): Current version 1.2.1 schema 12 - Installed version 1.2.1 schema 12

Hope that helps.

Have fun!

Durianwool

Outcomes