AnsweredAssumed Answered

How will you leverage CMIS?

Question asked by jpotts Moderator on Sep 10, 2008
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2008 by rdanner
Alfresco announced today a draft implementation of the new Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) specification. The spec defines a set of services (both SOAP and REST) that provide a layer of abstraction between content-centric applications and back-end repositories. Theoretically this will make it easier to write content-centric apps that could work against Alfresco, Documentum, Sharepoint, etc.

My initial thought is that it should make it easier to write things like Surf components and JSR-168 portlets for solutions that need to pull data from multiple repositories. In some clients, for example, it is not uncommon to find Alfresco, Documentum, and Sharepoint, all being used for various purposes.

I've been thinking a lot about Drupal-Alfresco integration lately, for example. With CMIS in place, the Drupal modules we write could be used not only for Alfresco but for other repo's as well. Plus, it might save me some time on the REST API side (although I haven't yet gotten into the details of Alfresco's CMIS implementation yet).

Anyway, I was curious to see if there are other opportunities that came to your mind when you read the announcement.

John Newton's blog post on CMIS
Alfresco CMIS Wiki Page
Alfresco CMIS Press Release
Full CMIS Specification

Outcomes