Frustrating CIFS config issue... Help?

Question asked by meansartin14 on Nov 26, 2008
Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 by erictice
Alfresco Platform:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.2
- Alfresco Enterprise 3.0.0
- MySQL 5.0.45 (came with RHEL5.2)
- Java JDK 1.6 Update 7
- Tomcat 6.0.18 (came with Alfresco installation)
- OpenOffice.org 3

Issue:
None of the configured Alfresco users are able to map a network drive to the Alfresco CIFS server in Windows Explorer. This functionality worked intermittently previously, but recently stopped working altogether.

I attempt this using the following steps on the Windows XP workstations attempting to connect to the Alfresco CIFS server:
   1) My Computer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive
   2) Drive: Z: ; Folder: \\servername\alfresco
   3) Click link at end of Connect using a different user name.
   4) User name: Alfresco username ; Password: Alfresco password (NOTE: These differ from WinXP login/password)
   5) Click OK
   6) Click Finish
   7) At this stage, I am prompted to enter User name and Password again. I enter the Alfresco username and password, then click OK.
   8) A smaller pop-up appears, saying Attempting to connect to \\servername\alfresco…
   9) A red error pop-up appears, saying
   Tbe mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
   The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

Examining the alfresco.log file, each time I attempt the above process, the following output is generated:

ERROR [org.alfresco.smb.protocol.auth] Kerberos logon error
ERROR [org.alfresco.smb.protocol.auth] java.lang.NullPointerException
ERROR [org.alfresco.smb.protocol.auth] org.alfresco.jlan.smb.server.SMBSrvException: Invalid device type for dialect
ERROR [org.alfresco.smb.protocol.auth] Kerberos logon error
ERROR [org.alfresco.smb.protocol.auth] java.lang.NullPointerException

I currently have only 1 user aside from root configured on the RHEL5 Alfresco server. My understanding is that you do not need to have a login to the server to have a login for the Alfresco CIFS server. Is there a limit on the number of CIFS connections?

Any helpful suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Outcomes