AnsweredAssumed Answered

Connect to existing MySQL data

Question asked by cyber-wizard on Sep 18, 2007
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2007 by schneika
We were running Alfresco 2.0 on a server and had started to evaluate it. It seems that the evaluation server was interpreted as a production server and a fair amount of data was composed so I can't just do a fresh installation and have users start over. I'm not entirely certain why production data was entered during the eval period but it's happened. One day, following a server reboot, I was unable to get Alfresco up and running again. After several days of unsuccessful attempts to fix it , the boss suggested that we move to 2.1 as he was planning on that anyway. I backed up my Alfresco directory and did a fresh installation of 2.1 Tomcat Community in a new location on the server.

I'm running
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
Alfresco Community 2.1
Tomcat 5.5.23
mysql 5.0.37
jdk1.5.0_11

I was unable to get that fresh installation of Alfresco/Tomcat to start no matter what I did to it. After a few more days of fighting, I did a mysqldump of my alfresco db, dropped the db and used db_setup.sql to recreate the alfresco db. With that done, Alfresco started working just fine. Unfortunately I still need my old data.

Can anyone advise me on how to connect this new 2.1 installation to my old data from 2.0? I restored the mysql dump back into the alfresco db, but that put me right back where I started before I recreated the database. I also transferred the alf_data directory from my 2.0 backup into the new 2.1 installation but that didn't help either.

I would also be interested in hearing in how everyone is backing up their Alfresco data. If a mysqldump isn't sufficient, I'll find myself in a tight spot if I'm in a disaster recovery position one day.

Outcomes