AnsweredAssumed Answered

file server config: why append the 'a' to cifs name?

Question asked by nadaoneal on Jan 16, 2009
Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 by nadaoneal
In all the documentation, I see that the cifs server name needs to be unique on the network - that it can't even be the same as the hostname of the server it's on. I find this so mysterious.

- Why can't it be the same as the server it's on? Can you explain what's happening behind the scenes?
- Should I register another hostname for my server with our hostmaster in order to make cifs work? Does it have to be "hostnameA"?

Just to see what would happen, I did set the hostname to "hostnameA" in $alfresco_home/tomcat/webapps/alfresco/WEB-INF/classes/alfresco/file-servers.xml, and I find that both mac and windows users can connect to the share at smb://hostname/alfresco and //hostname/alfresco, respectively. However, windows users will get the "not a valid CIFS folder" error when they attempt to use the CheckInOut.exe or ShowDetails.exe files. Naturally I'm not surprised that when I insist on not following directions, something fails to work. But I would like to understand better what's happening.

Outcomes