AnsweredAssumed Answered

OutOfMemoryException and/or alfrescoUserStore has dup entry

Question asked by tvaughan77 on Feb 3, 2009
Hi,

I'm just posting this in case someone experiences the same thing in the near future.  Here's how I recovered from an OutOfMemoryException, followed by a StackOverflow exception, followed by a "org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: The store 'user://alfrescoUserStore' has a duplicate root node entry." problem.

1) First, I experienced an OutOfMemoryException, probably because I hadn't changed by alfresco.sh JAVA_OPTS settings.  When I searched these forums, someone recommended that you change it to this:
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Xss96k -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -server'

Don't do that! Well, at least, leave out the -Xss section.  When I tried add the -Xss option, I couldn't get Tomcat to restart.  It kept throwing StackOverflow exceptions for the alfresco.war, the share.war and the studio.war.

2) In the course of trying to get rid of the StackOverflow errors and bring Alfresco "back to life", I blew away tomcat/webapps/[alfresco, share, studio] and the tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/alfresco and the tomcat/temp directory…none of that worked, and in fact made my situation worse because…

3) Once I removed the "-Xss" flag from my alfresco.sh Java options, I could get tomcat to come back up *but* all my custom configurations were gone (because I blew away the webapps working directory)

4) I took this opportunity to restore my custom-repository.properties and custom-hibernate-dialect.properties into the tomcat/shared/classes/ directory instead of the tomcat/webapps directory

5) On restart, I was getting "org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: The store 'user://alfrescoUserStore' has a duplicate root node entry." on startup.

I crossed my fingers, added this line to my tomcat/shared/classes/alfresco/extension/repository.properties:
index.recovery.mode=AUTO

Then blew away the lucene indexes:
cd alf_data/lucene-indexes/
rm -rf *

6) Luckily, the app re-generated the indexes and came back up

HTH,
Tom

Outcomes