AnsweredAssumed Answered

Constant JAVA errors, users are CIFS and WebDAV heavy

Question asked by alauppe on Feb 7, 2009
Latest reply on Feb 8, 2009 by jan
Version: Labs - v3.0.0 (Stable 1526) running on ubuntu 8.04 JeOS VM with gobs of RAM, using iptables to redirect privileged ports. I don't know all the information that will be needed to solve this problem, but I'm happy to provide it.

The problem is like this.

When you start Tomcat fresh, alfresco runs like a champ. It works great in our 10 user environment with users coming and going via CIFS and WebDAV without trouble for at least 6 hours. Never a problem until about ~6 hours after a restart. Then, inevitably one user will have a problem navigating the directory tree, or saving or opening a file. Maybe they're mapped drive (implemented via CIFS in Windows) will fail to open. The following error shows up in catalina.out.

java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
        at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcher.write0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.write(SocketDispatcher.java:29)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.writeFromNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:104)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.write(IOUtil.java:75)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.write(SocketChannelImpl.java:334)
        at org.alfresco.jlan.smb.server.nio.ChannelPacketHandler.writeBytes(ChannelPacketHandler.java:133)
        at org.alfresco.jlan.smb.server.nio.NetBIOSSMBChannelHandler.writePacket(NetBIOSSMBChannelHandler.java:199)
        at org.alfresco.jlan.smb.server.SMBSrvSession.procNetBIOSSessionRequest(SMBSrvSession.java:878)
        at org.alfresco.jlan.smb.server.SMBSrvSession.processPacket(SMBSrvSession.java:1415)
        at org.alfresco.jlan.smb.server.nio.NIOCIFSThreadRequest.runRequest(NIOCIFSThreadRequest.java:105)
        at org.alfresco.jlan.server.thread.ThreadRequestPool$ThreadWorker.run(ThreadRequestPool.java:141)

I know a timeout error isn't particularly helpful, but I don't know where else to start.

Sometimes this is the end of alfresco until a restart - other times, it continues to work for other users. What the heck is going on? Any ideas?

Let me know what information I can provide to help figure this thing out. There are people talking about dropping DMS all together for a simple file-share which I know they will regret, but this just isn't workable.

Thanks,
Andy Lauppe

Outcomes