AnsweredAssumed Answered

Disappearing Spaces

Question asked by macros on Mar 25, 2009
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2009 by mikeh
Hi,

I'm wondering if someone else has run into the following problem:

We have a rather large but fairly static space structure.  In consists of around 40 spaces each with their own project spaces inside them and each of these project spaces containts roughly 12-20 sub spaces.  Of those 40 main spaces, one has got a fairly large number of projects, say around 200.  This is all running on the 3.0 Labs Edition of Alfresco on a CentOS machine using MySQL 5.  For backup purposes I mount the CIFS share locally on the Linux machine itself and run rsync to sync the data offsite.  The strange thing is that while rsync is running about 60 spaces inside the 200 project space structure disappear.  They're not accessible by either the web frond end or local CIFS drive. 

I can add a few things to this:
1) Its got nothing to do with rsync.  A find, or large copy from the CIFS drive produces the same result.
2) It happens on the Labs edition as well as the latest Enterprise version of alfresco (the trial version at least)
3) I thought it might have something to do with the Linux CIFS implementation so I tried mounting the drive via NFS.  For some reason unknown to me, the NFS drive never show 8 of my 200 spaces even when nothing else is happening on the server.  It is rather strange, in theory the spaces exists but an ls on linux doesn't show them, they do appear on the Web frontend though.  (again, this happens on both versions of alfresco)
4) The spaces doesn't need to contain any data, having the spaces themselves set up is enough for all this to occur.
5) The number of spaces disappearing varies depending on how busy the server is.  For instance, running an rsync and find simultaneously will cause more spaces to disappear.
6) When rsync/find or whatever stops, the spaces reappear in both CIFS and the Web front end.

Also, when I say disappear, I mean an ls on linux report 140ish spaces rather then 200 and the same goes for the web front end. 

So has anyone seen this or something similar?  Maybe have a solution?

Outcomes