AnsweredAssumed Answered

shared drive vs. check-out and check-in

Question asked by k.ru.pa on Mar 31, 2009
I just installed the current version of Alfresco Labs to try out and I'm having trouble understanding how Alfresco handles checking a document out and in while also providing the shared drive view.

I have installed the Alfresco server on a Linux (Fedora Core 8 ) machine and from a Windows Vista machine mapped to the company space (is that the right way to say that?)

I then added a Word document to my user's space.  I see that I can open and edit the file as if it were on a shared drive and the version number increments when I save the file.  This is what I expect.

What is confusing me is the notion of checking out the document.  What exactly does that mean in this context?  It's not checked out when I'm just working on it, correct?  How do you check the document back in?   When I "check out" the document (which I'm not sure is even working), I see that a new minor version is created.  I created a rule to do something when the item is checked in, but it's running when I'm trying to check it out.  When I edit and save the document via the shared drive, a new minor version is created but the comment I put in the check-in rule isn't.

Thanks for any clarification.
-matthew

Incidentally, when I try to check it out I follow the following steps:

From the document's detail page, I select the Check Out action.
When asked where I want to the copy of the file, I select "In the current space" and click the "Check Out" button.
This seems to work and I get the "To edit the working copy of the file, click the link below and if asked select Save."

When I click on the document link, however, the software throws an exception:
org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: Error during download content servlet processing: Node does not exist: workspace://SpacesStore/b093d9e1ccd7-47c7-9052-8ed6ddc8b6f6
caused by:
org.alfresco.service.cmr.repository.InvalidNodeRefException: Node does not exist: workspace://SpacesStore/b093d9e1-ccd7-47c7-9052-8ed6ddc8b6f6

org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: Error during download content servlet processing: Node does not exist: workspace://SpacesStore/b093d9e1-ccd7-47c7-9052-8ed6ddc8b6f6
at org.alfresco.web.app.servlet.BaseDownloadContentServlet.processDownloadRequest(BaseDownloadContentServlet.java:407)
at org.alfresco.web.app.servlet.DownloadContentServlet.doGet(DownloadContentServlet.java:106)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:845)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.alfresco.service.cmr.repository.InvalidNodeRefException: Node does not exist: workspace://SpacesStore/b093d9e1-ccd7-47c7-9052-8ed6ddc8b6f6
at org.alfresco.repo.node.db.DbNodeServiceImpl.getNodePairNotNull(DbNodeServiceImpl.java:156)
at org.alfresco.repo.node.db.DbNodeServiceImpl.hasAspect(DbNodeServiceImpl.java:712)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor169.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:296)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:177)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:144)
at org.alfresco.repo.transaction.SingleEntryTransactionResourceInterceptor.invokeInternal(SingleEntryTransactionResourceInterceptor.java:163)
at org.alfresco.repo.transaction.SingleEntryTransactionResourceInterceptor.invoke(SingleEntryTransactionResourceInterceptor.java:138)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:166)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
at $Proxy7.hasAspect(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:296)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:177)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:144)
at org.alfresco.repo.tenant.MultiTNodeServiceInterceptor.invoke(MultiTNodeServiceInterceptor.java:110)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:166)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
at $Proxy7.hasAspect(Unknown Source)
at org.alfresco.repo.service.StoreRedirectorProxyFactory$RedirectorInvocationHandler.invoke(StoreRedirectorProxyFactory.java:221)
at $Proxy8.hasAspect(Unknown Source)
at org.alfresco.repo.node.MLPropertyInterceptor.getPivotNodeRef(MLPropertyInterceptor.java:320)
at org.alfresco.repo.node.MLPropertyInterceptor.invoke(MLPropertyInterceptor.java:164)
at org.alfresco.repo.node.NodeRefPropertyMethodInterceptor.invoke(NodeRefPropertyMethodInterceptor.java:203)
at org.alfresco.repo.node.NodeRefPropertyMethodInterceptor.invoke(NodeRefPropertyMethodInterceptor.java:203)
at $Proxy7.getProperty(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor189.invoke(Unknown Source)
at net.sf.acegisecurity.intercept.method.aopalliance.MethodSecurityInterceptor.invoke(MethodSecurityInterceptor.java:80)
at org.alfresco.repo.security.permissions.impl.ExceptionTranslatorMethodInterceptor.invoke(ExceptionTranslatorMethodInterceptor.java:49)
at org.alfresco.repo.audit.AuditComponentImpl.audit(AuditComponentImpl.java:275)
at org.alfresco.repo.audit.AuditMethodInterceptor.invoke(AuditMethodInterceptor.java:69)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:107)
at $Proxy7.getProperty(Unknown Source)
at org.alfresco.web.app.servlet.BaseDownloadContentServlet.processDownloadRequest(BaseDownloadContentServlet.java:245)
… 15 more

Outcomes