AnsweredAssumed Answered

Extremely inefficient ACP import

Question asked by mcmagnus on May 4, 2009
Hi

I've been struggling with trying to transfer data from one installation to another. The data isn't much, mainly 8 large (250MB each) files with some meta-data attached. But it's utterly impossible to import all 8 files in one go, I have to split them, into 2 files.

During the import, I took a look at the process, and it turns out that it's first read into a temp folder, then it's copied into the temp/Alfresco folder before it's even possible to click the Ok button on the import page. This process takes several minutes with a 1GB file and it wasn't even possible with a 2GB file, possibly depending on a full file system, but it could be some other limit imposed by Alfresco.

When I click Ok to start the import into the DB, the file gets copied *again* to a third location, which means that an import requires 3x the space of the imported file, and that's not counting the actual end storage in contentstore.

After the import is complete, 2 of the large 1GB files are left in the file system. Why aren't they removed?

Are all those copies really necessary? I seriously doubt it.

Outcomes