AnsweredAssumed Answered

Installing Alfresco Tomcat bundle on Ubuntu 8.04 (64 bit)

Question asked by groberts on Nov 18, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 by groberts
[Fix described in the last part]

Its been a long day !   I've worn out several of googles servers trying to install Alfresco on Ubuntu.

I've already had it working on Mac OS as a self install binary and also from source code but have tried three ways to install on Ubuntu and failed.

Method 1 was to download Alfresco-Community-3.2r-Linux-x86-Install.bin, give it execute permission and run it like this; 
./Alfresco-Community-3.2r-Linux-x86-Install.bin.   Nothing happened, perhaps because I have a 64 bit server ?

Method 2 was to use a package prepared by Canonical (http://jared.ottleys.net/alfresco/alfresco-community-3-2-ubuntu-package-explained) but the final apt-get install alfresco-community command results in an error about a Broken package.

Method 3 I  checked out the Community Source code and compiled it so that I've got build/dist/alfresco-community-tomcat-3.2r2.tar.
I've got JDK 1.6, ImageMagic, OpoenOffice and Tomcat 6.  Then when I had the tar file I followed the instructions in Installing_and_Configuring_Alfresco_ECM_Community_Edition_3_2_r-1.pdf.

I tail Catalina.out and it pauses for six minutes after the line

Loading properties file from class path resource [alfresco/alfresco-shared.properties]

And then shows an exception stack;

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.springframework.remoting.rmi.RmiServiceExporter' defined in class path resource [alfresco/emailserver/email-service-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.rmi.server.ExportException: internal error: ObjID already in use
Caused by: java.rmi.server.ExportException: internal error: ObjID already in use

then later

SEVERE: Context [/alfresco] startup failed due to previous errors

I've googled this without success. 

Is the HEAD code stable ?  I assume so.

Any ideas gratefully received !

Guy.

Outcomes