AnsweredAssumed Answered

CIFS/SMB on Windows w/ 3.2

Question asked by jimbojw on Aug 13, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 by jpbarba
Hi all,

I'm trying to do something which should be simple (I think).  I'm trying to set up a stock Alfresco 3.2 (community) server on a Windows Server 2003 host with CIFS/SMB support.  These are the customizations that I've added to the alfresco-global.properties file:

#
# CIFS
#————-
cifs.enabled=true
cifs.serverName=alfresco
cifs.domain=MYDOMAIN
cifs.hostannounce=true

#
# Authentication chain
#————-
authentication.chain=passthru1:passthru
passthru.authentication.sso.enabled=true
passthru.authentication.domain=
passthru.authentication.servers=MYDOMAIN\\mycontroller.mydomain.loc,mycontroller.mydomain.loc
passthru.authentication.authenticateCIFS=true
passthru.authentication.authenticateFTP=true
passthru.authentication.defaultAdministratorUserNames=administrator

Notes (in case it makes any difference):
* SSO (NTLMv1) via the passthru mechanism is working just fine.  Logging in with Windows credentials for MYDOMAIN is a snap.
* I control the entire network, including the Domain Controller (they're all VMs on my host)
* "alfresco" is a CNAME alias for the server running Alfresco in the mydomain.loc network
* I have set the SMBDeviceEnabled registry key as described in the File Server Subsystem article[1].

The problem is that Alfresco's SMB service does not seem to be supplanting the Windows native file shares.

I have tried uninstalling Windows SMB support via the network settings options.  This causes the WinSock connection attempt to fail and crash the JVM.  If I further attempt to disable Windows native support with "cifs.disableNativeCode=true", then CIFS fails to start at all, causing this stack trace:

13:48:17,422 User:System WARN  [org.alfresco.fileserver] CIFS server native calls disabled, JNI code will not be used
13:48:17,437 User:System ERROR [org.alfresco.fileserver] CIFS server configuration error, 07130001 NetBIOS SMB, TCP/IP SMB or Win32
NetBIOS must be enabled
org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: 07130001 NetBIOS SMB, TCP/IP SMB or Win32 NetBIOS must be enabled
        at org.alfresco.filesys.config.ServerConfigurationBean.processCIFSServerConfig(ServerConfigurationBean.java:906)
        at org.alfresco.filesys.AbstractServerConfigurationBean.init(AbstractServerConfigurationBean.java:486)
        …

The docs seem to indicate that I would need to add a custom-file-servers-context.xml file to enable netBIOSSMB (Java) however I haven't been able to find an example file from which to copy/paste.

Besides, I think I'd rather have it use WinSock native libraries (since that's what it's designed to do anyway).

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance for any help, I'm evaluating Alfresco as a replacement for a certain MS product that I would love to stop supporting. :roll:

[1] http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/File_Server_Subsystem

Outcomes