AnsweredAssumed Answered

Bootstrapping users in 3.2r2

Question asked by bnordgren on Dec 22, 2009
Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 by bnordgren
The short version is:
  1. I'm using alfresco as a collaboration tool where "employees" can work together with external entities.

2. The organizational "powers that be" maintain an Active Directory for employees.

3. I maintain an LDAP directory of "external entities" and "groups relevant to me"

4. I'm using OpenLDAP's slapd-meta to combine the two directories into one DIT.

5. Paged results don't work thru a metadirectory
The number of users in the corporate Active Directory is more than 1000, but probably less than 10000.  My little directory doesn't have anyone yet.

My problem is that during the initial import, I get exactly one "page" worth of users, never more.  This is not Alfresco's fault, as this is exactly the behavior I get using ldapsearch too.  However, I need some way to preload users in bulk.  I can export the LDIF for the corporate server, and it seems (by looking at some old comments on the forums) that one used to be able to bootstrap users from an LDIF file.  I do not see that option in the current install instructions for 3.2r2, and there is scant mention of LDIF on the wiki.  Is there still some way to do this?

Alternatively, if I temporarily connect Alfresco directly to Active directory to "bootstrap" my users, will they be recognized as the same users when I point Alfresco back to my metadirectory?  (I don't alter the user ids or names).  Does alfresco remember where each user id came from?

Probably 95% of the user accounts I create thru this process will never actually log into the server.  The problem is, I won't know which 5% to preload.  I want the "potential users" to pre-exist in alfresco so that they can be invited to Share sites and such.  Besides, if nothing else Alfresco makes a nice telephone directory. :)

I know Alfresco will manage external users, but I will be turning that off if I can.  The point of the metadirectory is to have a central place to manage accounts for external users and provide authentication services to Alfresco, trac, subversion, etc.

Thanks,
Bryce

Outcomes