AnsweredAssumed Answered

Setting Up CIFS on Windows Server 2008 R2

Question asked by maximus007 on Jan 29, 2010
Latest reply on May 16, 2012 by mrogers
I have seen a couple of mentions of this, but I want to start a new, clear thread in the hope that it triggers someone. I have done plenty of searching of the forums and lots of wiki reading.

I have installed Alfresco Community 3.2r2 on a clean Windows Server 2008 (x64) machine. The machine is on a domain controlled by an SBS2003 R2 machine.

So far, I have managed to get most things working - Alfresco via http, Alfresco Share, WebDAV (which suffers from the Windows Vista/7 PROPPATCH issue btw), FTP, PassThru authentication all work correctly. Unfortunately getting CIFS to has been my bugbear for at least two whole days. :?

my alfresco-global.properties contains the following entries related to CIFS (I realise a few are redundant but I am trying to make sure I haven't missed anything):

filesystem.name=Alfresco
cifs.enabled=true
cifs.servername=ALFRESCO
cifs.hostannounce=true
cifs.ipv6.enabled=disabled

I have followed the instructions at http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/File_Server_Configuration#Vista_And_Windows_2008 and blocked the requisite ports on the firewall. I have also disabled Smb2 via the specified registry key, and set the "TransportBindName" entry to blank. File & Printer Sharing is disabled on the network connection.

Despite my efforts, I cannot get the CIFS share to show up, either locally or on a remote machine.

Running netstat -a still shows port 445 as LISTENING which is apparently the expected behaviour on Windows Server 2008, hence the firewall settings.

nbstat -n shows the computer's hostname as unique, and the domain as a group, but it does not show the designated NetBT name "ALFRESCO".

Does anyone have any ideas for something to try?

PS: I have previously been able to get everything running fine on an Ubuntu 9.10 x64 virtual machine, but I need to run my production server on Windows due to our OCR software.

Outcomes