AnsweredAssumed Answered

Important announcement regarding the AVM

Question asked by jpotts Moderator on Feb 1, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 by rdanner
AVM Developers,

I know the future has been uncertain for the AVM for quite some time. When asked, most, if not all, of the Alfresco team would tell you to avoid the AVM if possible based on the fact that it isn't being actively developed. At DevCon, we had no AVM-based sessions and we presented CMIS-based solutions like Web Quick Start, the Drupal integration, Liferay, and partner-developed solutions like Crafter as our going-forward strategy for WCM. But there hasn't been anything official announced, until now. The official company message is now that AVM has a limited life. You can read more in my post, here.

To summarize the post:
* For existing customers, nothing changes for now. You can upgrade to Alfresco 4 and still get support for your AVM solution. However, new customers will not be able to purchase support subscriptions for the AVM.
* If you are a Community user with AVM, you should move to a DM-based solution as soon as you can. By the time Alfresco 5 is released, it is likely that AVM will not be part of the core platform.
* We have removed the AVM zip from the Community download page. (The zip contains the AVM context file and the virtualization server). We did that because we do not want Community users to use the AVM and then expect support if they upgrade to Enterprise. If this is going to be a major headache, let's discuss alternatives.

As I mentioned in the post, there may be passionate AVM users in our community who would like to carry the product forward as a community-managed project, packaged as an add-on to Alfresco. We would be interested in helping that sort of initiative be successful, so please contact me if this is something you want to take on.

You will begin to see disclaimer/notice text added to wiki pages and docs.alfresco.com to make sure that people are aware of the AVM's limited life before doing any new implementations on that repository.

Jeff

Outcomes