AnsweredAssumed Answered

4.0a Missing (possibly misplaced) message texts

Question asked by rjohnson on Feb 10, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 by resplin
I was working through creating a custom content model (using Jeff Potts great paper on ecmarchitect.com) and having successfully created and loaded a model I switched an existing document to one of my new content types. I noticed that having selected my new type and clicked OK the pop up message displayed "message.change-type.success" and not an appropriate message text. This generally means that the message text isn't set in the properties file against the message descriptor so I went off to find the appropriate file and add it.

As this was clearly a missing "standard" message text I went off looking in the core Alfresco Share files because it should be in them and not in an extension. In effect, omitting the message texts is a low importance bug.

By comparing with the Aspects functionality, I came to the conclusion that the message texts should be in change-type.get.properties and its associated language variants because the aspects messages are in aspects.get.messages and its associated language variants. I added the messages and nothing changed.

More routing around suggested that all these "common" messages had been moved to slingshot.properties (and associated language variants). So I added the messages there. That didn't achieve anything either.

After a lot more ferreting around, and finding an article in French on 3.2r, it seemed that the messages might be meant to be in share/WEB-INF/classes/alfresco/site-webscripts/org/alfresco/components/document-details/document-action.get.properties (and its associated language variants). I added them there and bingo, I got proper messages.

Now, one way or another I think this is a bug in 4.0a but I don't know exactly what to report. I think that the bug is:-

"change-type popup messages (message.change-type.success and message.change-type.failure) are missing in the download of 4.0a and the system is looking in the wrong place for them as well because they should be in change-type.get.properties or slingshot.properties but in fact have to go in document-action.get.properties for them to be picked up. I do not believe this is fixed in 4.0b or c because there is no JIRA notice for this."

My concern is that I am not sufficiently expert to make that full statement because although I know the messages are missing and I know where to put them to solve the immediate problem I am not sure where they actually "should" be and I do not want to raise a bad JIRA.

Can anyone thoroughly expert in the design principals of Alfresco Share help me out so that I can post a proper JIRA?

Thanks

Bob Johnson

Outcomes