AnsweredAssumed Answered

First questions from a greenhorn

Question asked by rajco on Mar 6, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 by mrogers
I have heard a lot about Alfresco but never used. This is an initial enquiry, please be patient.

The teachers of our school are looking for a server based, easy to use file sharing system which can be used independently amoung various groups and also integrates with the school Moodle, version 1.9. We have our own dedicated Debian 6, 64 bit server, which runs only LAMP and an (outward bound) mail server.

The external file sharing must be group based, the owner can open files or directories to different groups which are either defined in the LDAP or assign manually. The upload ideally browser based, or ftp.

The integration with Moodle can be described as a personal directory tree. The owner can link files or subdirectories from his personal directory to courses where he is the teacher.

Almost forgot, yes, the username and password are in the LDAP, basically OUs.

Is Alfresco the right thing?

What system software, in addition to the LAMP + Mail we have, do we need to install?

I saw the binary alfresco-community-4.0.d-installer-linux-x64.bin. What does it install? It is important because even for testing we have to install Alfresco on our school server, no LDAP access otherwise. The last thing I want is a disruption in the school server.

Outcomes