AnsweredAssumed Answered

Kerberos with multiple domains on Share 4.0.d

Question asked by ashex on Mar 14, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 by jjacobwip
Kerberos has been working well for us but I ran into an issue today that I had been hoping wouldn't show up. My company has multiple domains (one for each region). These use the convention sub1.domain.com sub2.domain.com sub3.domain.com. As such I've configured kerberos to point at domain.com and we've been able to authenticate just fine.

The issue I've found is for some reason a user in a domain different from the one I've been testing in is unable to login to share web, they receive the error: “The remote server may be unavailable or your authentication details have not been recognized” which generally indicates a bad password.

The odd thing is the site invitation sent to him has been accepted indicating a successful login. Additionally he's able to access CIFS without issue.

Would anyone know what could be the issue? This is the error I'm seeing in the logs:

11:06:00,753 ERROR [org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.AbstractRuntime] Exception from executeScript - redirecting to status template error: 02140029 Login failed
org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.WebScriptException: 02140029 Login failed
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.bean.AbstractLoginBean.login(AbstractLoginBean.java:75)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.bean.LoginPost.executeImpl(LoginPost.java:73)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.DeclarativeWebScript.executeImpl(DeclarativeWebScript.java:235)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.DeclarativeWebScript.execute(DeclarativeWebScript.java:64)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer$2.execute(RepositoryContainer.java:393)
        at org.alfresco.repo.transaction.RetryingTransactionHelper.doInTransaction(RetryingTransactionHelper.java:388)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer.transactionedExecute(RepositoryContainer.java:462)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer.transactionedExecuteAs(RepositoryContainer.java:500)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer.executeScript(RepositoryContainer.java:275)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.AbstractRuntime.executeScript(AbstractRuntime.java:372)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.AbstractRuntime.executeScript(AbstractRuntime.java:209)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.servlet.WebScriptServlet.service(WebScriptServlet.java:118)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
        at org.alfresco.web.app.servlet.GlobalLocalizationFilter.doFilter(GlobalLocalizationFilter.java:58)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:465)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
11:06:26,446 ERROR [org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.AbstractRuntime] Exception from executeScript - redirecting to status template error: 02140030 Login failed
org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.WebScriptException: 02140030 Login failed
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.bean.AbstractLoginBean.login(AbstractLoginBean.java:75)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.bean.LoginPost.executeImpl(LoginPost.java:73)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.DeclarativeWebScript.executeImpl(DeclarativeWebScript.java:235)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.DeclarativeWebScript.execute(DeclarativeWebScript.java:64)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer$2.execute(RepositoryContainer.java:393)
        at org.alfresco.repo.transaction.RetryingTransactionHelper.doInTransaction(RetryingTransactionHelper.java:388)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer.transactionedExecute(RepositoryContainer.java:462)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer.transactionedExecuteAs(RepositoryContainer.java:500)
        at org.alfresco.repo.web.scripts.RepositoryContainer.executeScript(RepositoryContainer.java:275)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.AbstractRuntime.executeScript(AbstractRuntime.java:372)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.AbstractRuntime.executeScript(AbstractRuntime.java:209)
        at org.springframework.extensions.webscripts.servlet.WebScriptServlet.service(WebScriptServlet.java:118)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
        at org.alfresco.web.app.servlet.GlobalLocalizationFilter.doFilter(GlobalLocalizationFilter.java:58)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:465)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Update

I ran wireshark and after some analysis and testing I've found that kerberos is authenticating against the same REALM regardless of where the account is located. I believe it's caused by the kerberos option kerberos.authentication.realm. I have this set to sub1.domain.com and as such accounts in sub2.domain.com are using that realm.

Outcomes