AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alfresco using temp folder to store bin files

Question asked by ofcinc on Mar 23, 2012
Hello all,

I just started playing with Alfresco 4.0d WIndows 32bit Community on a 2003 R2 server.  I performed an advanced install, as I am connecting it to an existing remote PostgreSQL server.  After a couple of false starts and reinstalls, I managed to get everything working happily together, until I decided to try to move the content store to a remote NAS server.

I managed to find several articles about moving dir.root and why you don't want to do so (lucine indexes on local drives) and ended up using dir.contentstore and dir.contentstore.deleted variables in alfresco-global.properties.  I made the necessary changes, copied files manually, and then restarted the server.

The problem is, Alfresco is not storing anything on the NAS.  Instead, it is putting all of the content bin files into C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Alfresco, following the usual folder structure within that directory (2010\3\23 etc.).  I cannot find any file within the Alfresco install that would tell it to save the bins there.

The whole problem stemmed from when I tried to initially change the store folder settings in alfresco-global.properties.  I attempted to use a mapped drive letter to the NAS, which Alfresco did not like, giving me "failed to create content store A:\alf_data\contentstore". 

After confirming that Tomcat was running as the domain admin, and that the user had access to the NAS share, I changed to a UNC path declaration.  The first time I did that, I forgot to escape a slash and Alfresco created a folder on the C: drive and attemped to store bins there.

I caught the error, uninstalled & reinstalled Alfresco, recreated the database, confirmed the proper user is running the Tomcat service, set up the UNC path properly (dir.contentstore=\\\\snap-main\\alfresco\\alf_data\\contentstore), and finally started the server, I found the abovementioned issue where it was saving into the temp folder instead of the NAS.

I would really like to figure out what I'm doing wrong, as Alfresco seems to be just what I've been looking for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Outcomes