AnsweredAssumed Answered

Correct extension classpath for log4j overrides?

Question asked by throwback on Apr 5, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 by throwback
Hi all,

I've been reading the documentation and searching the forums for any clear info on where I am supposed to put log4j overrides- is the logger a subsystem? The documentation truncates the location and assumes I know what the bit in the middle is!

Documentation (http://docs.alfresco.com/4.0/topic/com.alfresco.enterprise.doc/tasks/log-levels-set.html) says:

"
When using log4j, you should:
Keep local customizations and licenses outside of the web application. For example, in the extension directory:
$TOMCAT_HOME/shared/classes/alfresco/extension/…-log4j.properties
The Alfresco supplied configuration files should be stored or installed within the web application. For example:
WEB-INF/classes/alfresco/extension/…-log4j.properties
A dev-log4j.properties file should never be used in an ongoing during production, nor packaged as a part of any product."

Unfortunately I don't know what to call the file in $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/classes/alfresco/extension/…-log4j.properties to set the log file location, so I have been forced to do this in WEB-INF, which I know is Bad Practice as I will have to re-do the overrides every time I upgrade. Can anyone shine a light? If I don't set the alfresco.log location to an absolute path the log file doesn't get written and I have to trawl catalina.out to see what's going on.

I have tried setting the logfile location in alfresco-global.properties also to no avail.

Using Alfresco 4.0.d community on Ubuntu 10.04 amd64

Outcomes