AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to get content and users out of 3.0 (derby) and into 3.3

Question asked by pjara on Jun 17, 2010
A predecessor setup Alfresco 3.0 and used the default derby data store. We have setup various sites and input a lot of content since then. However, we need to upgrade to 3.3 to resolve some bugs in 3.0.  So I setup a new 3.3 installation using a MySQL data store. I then tried to export content from the 3.0 installation via the Explorer web interface. However, when I went to import these packages into the 3.3 installation, it failed each time mentioning something about thumbnail content (looked like a schema conflict).

So, I decided to try to convert the 3.0 derby install to a 3.0 MySQL install and then try to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.3. I setup a new empty 3.0 MySQL database. I then used some derby tools to extract the content from the derby store and transform it into SQL insert statements which I then successfully ran against the empty database to populate it. However, it appears not everything went smoothly because the indexes fail to fully re-index (even when forcing them) and consequently Explorer never starts up.

I'm a bit dejected with how much effort is required here! Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get content out of this old 3.0+derby installation? If I want to upgrade to 3.3, so I need to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1, then from 3.1 to 3.2, and then from 3.2 to 3.3? Any suggestions are appreciated. I've scoured the web for two days trying to find documentation that addresses my particular situation but I just find dead-ended forum posts, so thanks in advance.

Outcomes