AnsweredAssumed Answered

External Authentication only possible with SSO?

Question asked by kinglear on Nov 7, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 by kinglear
Hello, I am new here and since the forum just ate my initial post I will be brief.

I have successfully managed to set up Alfresco 4.0.e to accept external authentication using Shibboleth. My front-end consists of an Apache webserver running mod_shib and mod_proxy_ajp. After authenticating at my Shibboleth IdP I am logged in at both /alfresco and /share. So no problem here.

Since we would like to use a custom external authentication method, I started to play around a little using basic authentication. I am not referring to AlfrescoNtlm, but to external authentication based on mod_auth_basic and mod_authn_file. Although the alfresco configuration was not modified and Apache correctly provides a REMOTE_USER variable, I can no longer access /share. I still get logged in into the alfresco repository, but when accessing the /share location I only get an HTTP 200 status code with Content-Length 0, i.e. no HTML is returned.

I am currently suspecting that external authentication in share only works with Single-Sign-On systems. Is my assumption correct or is this behaviour caused by something else. Any explanation will be highly appreciated.

Outcomes