AnsweredAssumed Answered

Categorization of content

Question asked by bmarkovic on Oct 19, 2010
Hello all.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how things work in Alfresco. Here's one thing I can't figure out.

DMS should allow us to categorize our content using multiple taxonomies, right? So far I've figured out the following:

- Folder structure as in a file system. Great but that much was available since the advent of LAN file sharing.
- Tags. Nice Web2.0-ism that's proven useful, but tags are constraintless many-to-many and have no hierarchy. This is useful but is not always what we need.

And finally:

- Categories. Which complement tags and folder structure in a great way and are exacly what I need.

Except that they seem cast in stone. What especially baffles me is the fact that we have that 'Software Document Classification' which (along with 'Regions' and 'Languages' that have a subset of world countries and not the rest) is a clear indicator that categories that come with Alfresco are sort of "demo" content, right?. However whatever stone I turned, (including the wiki and this forum) it appears that unless I'm a global software company not interested in a significant part of world population (including the one in my own country) I should (ironicaly) edit "under the hood" config files (fine with me tho) and come to terms with the fact that I cannot really use my customizations through the standard UI as neatly as the 'cast in stone' defaults (at least that is how I understood this wiki entry).

Why categories aren't as useable and as exposed in UI as Tags? Is this a design decision or just "the thing we've yet to get to" in development?

Hope I didn't mispost. Thank you for your help.

Outcomes