AnsweredAssumed Answered

Major problem with smtp and reindexing

Question asked by ebogaard on Jan 7, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 by ebogaard
Yesterday Alfresco crashed on us. When investigating why, the logfile appeared to be enormous: >10GB. Checking the contents revealed that Alfresco was trying to send an email to a non-existing user (user was removed from the AD):

10:39:34,686 User:eripo ERROR [action.executer.MailActionExecuter] Failed to send email to [<USERNAME>]
org.springframework.mail.MailSendException; nested exception details (1) are:
Failed message 1:
javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
  nested exception is:
   com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 5.1.1 User unknown

This entry appeared (I guess, but didn't count) thousands of times in the logfile.
Shouldn't there be a limit on retrying to send an email?

Even though this is a major problem, the biggest problem is getting rid of it:
Because of the many retries, at leas that's what I think, the transactional log has gron enormously. Where the last reindex counted 117.000 transactions and was completed in 8 minutes, this one counts 3.600.000. Only the first 10% took 7,5 hours!

When I extrapolate the time it should take to index 117K opposed to 3,6M, it should take less than 300 minutes. Why is this taking so locg, and, most importantly, how can I speed things up?
When I look at the use of resources, the CPU hardly has to do any work, only once in a while tomcat peaks, than mysql. Only the SAN is working quite hard and has read and written >1,5TB in these 7,5 hours.

Alfresco CE 3.4.b, Windows 2008 R2, Java 64bit, 2,5GB heap, MySQL on the same server as tomcat.

Outcomes