AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multi Filing and permissions

Question asked by boyelr on Apr 15, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 by zaizi
I'm trying to model a strange paradigm in Alfresco, and I'm not sure I can do it without cracking the thing open and doing some development.  The basic idea is that a document is uploaded to a folder, and the same document is then uploaded to a different folder–i.e., it is multi filed.  The first folder it is uploaded to will be under lock-and-key to the user, but I want the user to be able to view it from its multi-filed folder. 

The first question is…does the Alfresco community edition support multi filing through its UI?  I had to do it through the CMIS endpoint.  This is mostly for curiosity, though it would be convenient if I could do it through the UI. 

The second question is…is that paradigm possible without additional development?  I know that it spits on the principle of least priviledge; I'm simply trying to model functionality that exists in our current ECM system.  The one solution I can come up with would be to execute an action on the multi-filed folder to give a user or group permissions on the document when a document is placed into it, but lo and behond, no such action seems to exist out of the box.  Doing it manually does achieve the effect I'm looking for (user cannot see the "home folder" but can see the "Multi filed folder" and the document therein), so I'm hopeful that there's a reasonably simple way to turn that behavior into an action.

Outcomes