AnsweredAssumed Answered

CIFS. Unable to login; login popup reappears endlessly.

Question asked by malder on Apr 18, 2011
Latest reply on May 3, 2011 by spiritz
Hi, everyone.
Nothing really new, but Cifs doesn't work for me. The sad thing is that unlike most of people who are describing CIFS related problems here, I have the simpliest possible case: small office, no domain, no complex external authorization schemas and so on. So, basically CIFS should work straight from the box. But…

The minor issue is that alfresco repository netbios name broadcast seems to be broken, so it is not visible in my network places, etc. That's no big deal, I can live with that since <servername>A is still pingable and routable.

Now to the major issue. Everything seems to work fine. I type "\\<servername>A\" in windows explorer, login popup appears, I type un/pw and when it just pops up again shortly after. And just keeps on popping up endlessly. However If I "mistype" the username, access denied message appears just as expected.

The interesting part is that I can easily access the CIFS share from the same machine alfresco installed on. But not any other machine.  Additionally attempting to map a network drive leads to "destination is unreachable" error instantly.

So i have:
Alfresco comunity 3.4d (installation wizard, "advanced" installation mode, pretty sure everything was typed in properly during the installation)
Clients and server are xp sp3 32bit.
Firewall /anti-malware software is either absent or disabled for testing purposes on all of them (absolutely none on server).
I tried:
a) straight from the box configuration
b) following this guide http://zensarteam.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/alfresco-enable-cifs-server-on-windows-xp/
c) following suggestions for this type of problem from documentation, wiki, forums, and so on. (spent the whole night)
The result was the same regardless of my actions.
Logs:
logging settings are "log4j.logger.org.alfresco.smb.protocol=debug" and "log4j.logger.org.alfresco.smb.protocol.auth=debug".

1. browsing cifs from the server. Eveything works, tonnes of theese are spammed to log.
19:23:39,219 User:admin DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction
19:23:39,219  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction
19:23:39,219  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction
19:23:39,234  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction
19:23:39,234 User:admin DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction

2. Typing "\\<servername>A\" in windows explorer from client machine and trying to login. Logs are telling me nothing interpretable.  During the time span shown here I pressed login button about 5 times, and then "mistyped" my username purposely, getting an error message. However, none of these actions are visible in logs. 
19:33:03,141  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] NT Session setup NTLMSSP, MID=8, UID=0, PID=65279
19:33:03,141  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction
19:33:03,141  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] NT Session setup NTLMSSP, MID=16, UID=0, PID=65279
19:33:45,750  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction
19:34:16,141  DEBUG [smb.protocol.auth] Using Write transaction

3. Nothing happens at all then attempting to map a network drive.

That' s it I guess.
Any help would be REALLY appreciated!
Btw. Is it possible that problem is caused from elsewhere (network misconfiguration, for example)?
What should I check then?
Eveything else, however works perfectly. Considering both alfresco and other network infrastructure.
P.s. Greetings from Russia. Pardon me Englishes. That also means that windows messages, captions and titles has been translated by me from Russian as well, and they may sound really different in English version of windows. Sorry for possible confusion.

Outcomes