AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is Alfresco + Plugins Right for Me?

Question asked by peter-l on Feb 6, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 21, 2013 by rroic
Hello folks,

I've been researching this for the past few days and was hoping to have some real world advice around my requirements and if Alfresco + some plugins are for me?

Basically I want to create a file share per user where they can scan documents in TIFF/JPG/PDF these will then get picked up and compared against predefined document templates (I think this is called Zonal OCR ?) Once it knows what sort of document it is it will OCR certain fields and save it as a PDF and tag keywords into the PDF that were picked up at the OCR stage.  From there the filename will be generated based on OCR fields eg <letter date> - <company> - <sender> - <type of letter>.pdf i.e. "2013-01-01 - Big Bank - Bloggs - Joe Andrew - Invoice.pdf"  From here it will be put into folders based on company and indexed by a search server (Alfresco or not).

I know the latter part of my query is what Alfresco seems to do best the document management aspect of it, indexing, searching etc, but I am unclear if it also performs the OCR aspect out of the box or does it need plugins.

In short im looking for a Kofax Capture / Abbyy Flexicapture open source solution with form/zonal templates and OCR.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

Many Thanks,
Peter

Outcomes