AnsweredAssumed Answered

Critical 'patch.sharedFolder' error during upgrade to 4.2.d

Question asked by jonvargas on Sep 14, 2013
<strong>Problem:</strong>

I just tried to upgrade from previous 4.2.c to released 4.2.d, but during the upgrade a patch error happended and that caused a full crash of Alfresco during startup.

The problematic patch was "patch.sharedFolder", and the log is attached at the end of this post.

<strong>Analysis:</strong>

By examining files, I noticed there was an entry related to this patch at the end of  "classes/alfresco/repository.properties"  file.

system.patch.sharedFolder.deferred=false

Also, there was a related issue reported by Mark Rogers, but I was unable to understand what It means> https://issues.alfresco.com/jira/browse/ALF-19127

<strong>Workaround</strong>

Intuitively I forced my self to change above's property to 'true' and then Alfresco started correctly.

system.patch.sharedFolder.deferred=true

I don't know what this patch does concretely, but changing that property worked.

<strong>Question?</strong>

My questions are:

* Do I really need to apply that patch?
* What is it supposed to do?
* What could be causing its failure during Alfresco startup?

2013-09-13 23:27:37,842  INFO  [admin.patch.PatchExecuter] [localhost-startStop-1] Checking for patches to apply …
2013-09-13 23:27:40,216  INFO  [admin.patch.PatchExecuter] [localhost-startStop-1]     Applying patch 'patch.sharedFolder' (Add Shared Folder).
2013-09-13 23:27:42,415  ERROR [admin.patch.PatchExecuter] [localhost-startStop-1] 08130001 org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: 08130000 Bootstrap failed
        at org.alfresco.repo.importer.ImporterBootstrap.bootstrap(ImporterBootstrap.java:362)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.impl.GenericBootstrapPatch.applyInternal(GenericBootstrapPatch.java:123)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.impl.SharedFolderPatch.applyInternal(SharedFolderPatch.java:180)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch.applyImpl(AbstractPatch.java:442)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch.access$000(AbstractPatch.java:58)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch$3$1.execute(AbstractPatch.java:603)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch$3$1.execute(AbstractPatch.java:600)
        at org.alfresco.repo.transaction.RetryingTransactionHelper.doInTransaction(RetryingTransactionHelper.java:447)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch$3.doWork(AbstractPatch.java:606)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch$3.doWork(AbstractPatch.java:593)
        at org.alfresco.repo.security.authentication.AuthenticationUtil.runAs(AuthenticationUtil.java:546)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch.apply(AbstractPatch.java:615)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.AbstractPatch.apply(AbstractPatch.java:561)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.PatchServiceImpl$PatchWork.applyPatch(PatchServiceImpl.java:491)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.PatchServiceImpl$PatchWork.execute(PatchServiceImpl.java:403)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.PatchServiceImpl.applyPatch(PatchServiceImpl.java:258)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.PatchServiceImpl.applyPatchAndDependencies(PatchServiceImpl.java:235)
        at org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.PatchServiceImpl.applyOutstandingPatches(PatchServiceImpl.java:171)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
        at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:309)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
        at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:110)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        at $Proxy104.applyOutstandingPatches(Unknown Source)

Outcomes