AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to selectively share documents or soft link nodes?

Question asked by eleutian on Nov 14, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 by soniav
Hi All,

We have an outside vendor that I want to give read (consumer) access to for a portion of folders and files within a particular site. I realize that I can invite this user to the site as a consumer, but I can't find a way to only allow them to see just the folders and files that I want them to see. I initially tried setting permissions on only those specific folders and files through the repository browser permissions interface, but unless the user also has access to the parent nodes they can't ever get to the children. Is there a way to do this?

My next thought was to simply create a new site that only contained the folder and file nodes that the user should have access to. However, I don't want to duplicate all of this data in the new site. This would eat up storage space and potentially cause versioning issues. Instead, I basically want to create a "soft link" (like in *nix) in the new site to reference the original nodes. It seems that at one time Alfresco did have a "copy" and "paste as link" function, but I can't find that any more. Is there a way to do this? Does anyone know of an add on or other tool to accomplish my goal?

We're using Alfresco Community 4.0e on a Win 2008 server. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

–Eleutian

Outcomes