AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alfresco folder gone after reboot / possible Debian-Dropbox issue

Question asked by annzet on Jan 8, 2014
We are testing Alfresco Community 4.2.d. for our purposes (Linux alfresco 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1+deb7u1 x86_64).

Alfresco was located in /apps/alfresco and the filesystem looks like this:

Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                     322M  270M   36M  89% /
udev                        10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs                      202M  228K  202M   1% /run
/dev/mapper/alfresco-root  322M  270M   36M  89% /
tmpfs                      5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                      403M     0  403M   0% /run/shm
/dev/sda1                  228M   18M  198M   9% /boot
/dev/mapper/alfresco-home  198M  136M   52M  73% /home
/dev/mapper/alfresco-tmp   368M   11M  339M   3% /tmp
/dev/mapper/alfresco-usr   8.3G  1.3G  6.7G  16% /usr
/dev/mapper/alfresco-var   2.8G  393M  2.3G  15% /var

I am not the one who installed it and the communication with the person who did is not that smooth.

We had a problem with rootfs overload and postgreSQL not running (as I figured, log files). After cleaning log files postgreSQL started but still it was impossible to login to the Alfresco Share/Explorer.

Nevertheless, I was trying to perform a cold backup (in hope that some of the content can be restored in the 4.2.e installation).
Unfortunately during the backup of alf_data rootfs ran out of memory. Anyway, I decided to use external memory for safety reasons (Dropbox). To install it I followed these instructions: http://boghdan.net/how-to-mount-dropbox-on-debian-linux-server-shell/

To my surprise, after reboot I found out the Dropbox was installed but the content of /apps/alfresco was gone (/apps folder was empty, but I'm not sure if anything other than alfresco was there before). I started going through logs but cannot make any sense of it.

I would appreciate it if you were able to help me to:

1)   understand what exactly happened (or where to search for the answer)? I haven’t done much Linux administration and I guess it may be sth with apt-upgrade/update. If it’s the issue, what can I do to prevent it in the future? 

2)   Clarify if I understand the backup/restore operations correctly: to restore the content from 4.2.d to 4.2.e it is necessary to backup from one installation of 4.2.d, restore to another 4.2.d, upgrade the latter to 4.2.e and then again a backup and restore to another 4.2.e (no possibility of direct 4.2.e restore from 4.2.d backup)?

3)   Plan the partitioning for 4.2.e.: I see that the roortfs should be definitely bigger, but what with the rest of partitions? Is the above scheme ok or would you suggest changing it before clean install?

Outcomes