AnsweredAssumed Answered

split an excel file into nodes

Question asked by noobfreso on Mar 27, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 by noobfreso
Hi,

I've already posted here http://forums.alfresco.com/forum/end-user-discussions/alfresco-share/xls-multi-pdf-03202014-0844 but maybe this place is more appropriated.

I have a .xlsx file that I use as a database. Each line contains information for 1 document: Name, date, and some custom datas. I don't want to upload the documents; I however want to add the datas to Alfresco so I can use the search function.

I was considering creating 1 .pdf or .doc for each document containing the datas and then uploading them to Alfresco so people could search, download, and print them.
I have however been told to create a type that contains the metadata I'm interested in. Then add an action that splits the xlsx file into multiple nodes of the type.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to split the xlsx with an action…
Also, do you know if there is a way to create pdf from a node that would contain only metadatas?
Last, do you know if there is a way to have a form allowing people to add nodes from this particular type? A form that would be used in order to add metadatas to the "empty" nodes newly created, when they are created, so the "dabatase" could be maintained up to date.

PS: I'm running Community atm.

Thanks!

Outcomes