AnsweredAssumed Answered

New book: 'Alfresco CMIS' (5 free copies for you!)

Question asked by nicolasraoul on Jun 2, 2014
CMIS is one of the best ways to write Alfresco clients.
So the book Alfresco CMIS can be a great help for your next web, desktop, mobile apps for Alfresco.

With 272 pages, the book is centered on practical usage rather than theory, which is great for implementors who want to quickly create a CMIS client. Other CMIS books tend to cover the CMIS specification with all the details needed to implement a CMIS server… which is not needed as we already have Alfresco as the server.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sTFHTpm.png[/img]

The first chapter describes what CMIS is good for, the main ways to use it, and quickly explains the necessary concepts.

After server-side preparation (spoiler: takes only seconds with cmis.alfresco.com), the reader is already running AtomPub based requests to list a folder or create a document. The third chapter covers more advanced operations like check-out, relationships and searching.

The fourth chapter is Alfresco-specific, explaining how the Alfresco world (models, types, properties, aspects, categories, aspects) translates in the CMIS world, and how it is implemented, with important details on access control, changelog, and search.

One of the most useful parts is the fifth chapter, which details how to access a CMIS server with Java in order to create, move, modify and delete content, manage versions, permissions, relationships, and generally whatever you would want to do with a repository. The book covers "secondary types", a new concept in CMIS 1.1, a much nicer to handle Alfresco's aspects than what is described in older documentation.

The new trend is to use CMIS via scripting, and the book devotes a whole chapter to the topic, guiding the reader into writing CMIS clients in plain JavaScript, JQuery, Groovy, and Spring Surf. CMIS is indeed a great way to create Alfresco Share extensions.

The "I" in CMIS is for Interoperability, and the last chapter puts this in context by having you single-handedly implement useful interconnections between Alfresco and big names of the Open Source Enterprise world such as Drupal and Mule.

[h1]Win 5 copies![/h1]

I took part in the writing of this book, so the publisher allows me to give away 5 ebook copies for free. I have set up a small raffle tool on the Facebook page of my open source project CmisSync, don't hesitate to enter the raffle, winners will be randomly chosen this Friday :-)
272 pages, $20 value.

Outcomes