AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to Convert Business Requirements into Alfresco Specifications

Question asked by tedmasterweb on Oct 11, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 by tedmasterweb
Hi,

I am new to Alfresco (and ECM in general) so please forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious.

I've been asked to create a system for a company. Since the system has elements of content management and workflow automation, Alfresco seemed like an ideal solution.

Having read through multiple articles on ecmarchitect.com and having done some SharePoint configuration in the past, I thought I'd be ready by now to start configuring Alfresco for this project. However, I'm a bit stuck and seem to have some kind of writer's block.

I need to convert the business requirements into a content model and quite frankly, I don't know where to begin. I don't know what criteria to use to determine what new content types I might need or how to (when to) define a content model (a diagram, not the code or steps to do so in Alfresco). Since I assume every case is different, I'd like to summarize what the company would like to do.

Essentially we have an extended approval workflow. The original document consists of the answers to a questionnaire and the typical metadata associated with a standard document, plus a few additional fields (nothing special). That document, however, will be associated with a host of other documents that will be supplied later and the group of documents will all be combined to represent a single document that will be passed through one or more approval workflows.

When the questionnaire answers are uploaded and assigned, I'd like the system to create a new, dated task. Along the whole process there are other moments when tasks will need to be created and status' changed.

From what I've read, the only (best?) way to automate the task creation and status changes is by creating a custom content type that has workflows associated with it, but there's a little voice inside me saying: you're over-complicating things.

Besides wanting to know if there are any good articles or books on content modeling, I'd like to know if my assumptions are accurate and if I do indeed need to create a custom content type.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this long-winded post. I am very grateful to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Outcomes