AnsweredAssumed Answered

tag specific versions of documents

Question asked by jimn on Dec 4, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 by jimn
A requirement for our use of the system is to be able to get versions of documents that are associated with a release of the associated software. For example, document A has versions 1, 2, 3, and 4; document B has versions 1, 2, and 3. Release X of the software corresponds to document A version 2 and document B version 1. Release Y of our software corresponds to document A version 3 and document B version 3. Tagging seems like a natural way to associate related documents but my understanding of tagging is that it tags the entire document and not any specific version. So then it doesn't meet the requirement. A workaround would be to create a folder for the release and put a copy of the specific version of each document that is associated with the release in the folder. That seems to defeat one of the main purposes of a DMS which is to keep documents in "one place" instead of scattered about. Is there another concept besides tags or other methods in Alfresco that could be used to accomplish this requirement?

We are currently using version 4 but can upgrade to version 5 if needed to meet this requirement.

Note that this question was asked here:

https://forums.alfresco.com/forum/general/non-technical-alfresco-discussion/document-version-labeling-tagging-02262010-2243

but that post is now about 2 years old so I'm wondering if anything changed in Alfresco since then related to this requirement. I did add a reply to that post and I apologize for "double posting" but there was no additional response to that reply and perhaps this forum is a better forum for the question.

Outcomes