AnsweredAssumed Answered

Activiti version numbering

Question asked by briantopping on Sep 19, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 by tombaeyens
As I started integrating Activiti to my project, I was happy to find the IdentityService interface and easily integrated a stubbed implementation via Spring, with breakpoints to dynamically view usages.  So far, so good. 

After running my test framework, I was surprised to find that none of the methods were reached. 

After finding usages in my IDE, I find that the implementation is instantiated but never used.  Oops!

This is a bit of a challenge to find that such an important SPI is unused in software that is "beta".  I know there is some marketing here, but calling software that is at this stage "beta" is in direct contradiction with the mission of the project: "to make Business Process Management (BPM) ubiquitous by offering solutions that both business people and developers love".

Speaking as a developer, Activiti looks great and this isn't going to stop me from using it, but this situation makes me very uneasy.  In the past, we used to use the categorization of "alpha" for software that had final API/SPIs, and "beta" for software that had no known bugs and was just going through user acceptance testing and baking.  I had inadvertently thought when I started looking to use Activiti (software that calls itself "5.0" and "beta") that I was looking at a very stable and finished system, now it appears that I have a lot of work ahead of me to get it integrated with my system, and no idea whether I'm going to run into another similar roadblock in the future.

What do you guys think about this?  This isn't to throw cold water on the project, your team has done a commendable job in a difficult and much-needed problem space.  But there's definitely going to need to be some work toward how releases are communicated!  :-)

Cheers, Brian

Outcomes