AnsweredAssumed Answered

TimerEntity was updated by another transaction concurrently

Question asked by bardioc on Oct 21, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 by trademak
Hello,

I've created a simple test case to show a optimistic locking error with the TimerCatchEvent. I've tried to build a unit test from this, but somehow it only occurs when directly implemented in the process.

We're currently using WebSphere 8.0, Activiti-5.9-SNAPSHOT as well as Oracle as DB for the persistence. The model used for this test is the same as found in the IntermediateTimerTest-case in the activiti-engine test suite.

[attachment=0]IntermediateTimerTest.png[/attachment]

The timer is configured as PT5S.

I'm creating a singleton process engine with the EJB-Annotation @Singleton and @Startup. The configuration utilizes the Spring based UOWTransaction manager required for WebSphere.

<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.transaction.jta.WebSphereUowTransactionManager" />

<bean id="processEngineConfiguration" class="org.activiti.spring.SpringProcessEngineConfiguration">   
        <property name="jobExecutorActivate" value="false" />     
        <property name="transactionManager"  ref="transactionManager" />
    </bean>

The database is retrieved via @Resource annotation to utilize the currently active transaction.

conf.setJobExecutorActivate(true);
conf.setDataSource(dataSource);
conf.setHistory(ProcessEngineConfiguration.HISTORY_ACTIVITY);
conf.setDatabaseSchemaUpdate(ProcessEngineConfiguration.DB_SCHEMA_UPDATE_TRUE);

When I afterwards create two process instances directly after each other:

final ProcessInstance instance
    = engine.getRuntimeService().startProcessInstanceByKey("IntermediateTimerTest");

final ProcessInstance instance2
    = engine.getRuntimeService().startProcessInstanceByKey("IntermediateTimerTest");

Both fall into the timer. When the timer fires an exception is thrown:

[21.10.11 11:40:09:084 CEST] 00000026 CommandContex E   Error while closing command context
org.activiti.engine.ActivitiOptimisticLockingException: TimerEntity[311] was updated by another transaction concurrently
   at org.activiti.engine.impl.db.DbSqlSession.flushUpdates(DbSqlSession.java:435)
   at org.activiti.engine.impl.db.DbSqlSession.flush(DbSqlSession.java:348)
   at org.activiti.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContext.flushSessions(CommandContext.java:147)
   at org.activiti.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContext.close(CommandContext.java:103)
   at org.activiti.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContextInterceptor.execute(CommandContextInterceptor.java:49)
   at org.activiti.spring.SpringTransactionInterceptor$1.doInTransaction(SpringTransactionInterceptor.java:42)
   at org.springframework.transaction.jta.WebSphereUowTransactionManager$UOWActionAdapter.run(WebSphereUowTransactionManager.java:337)
   at com.ibm.ws.uow.EmbeddableUOWManagerImpl.runUnderNewUOW(EmbeddableUOWManagerImpl.java:786)
   at com.ibm.ws.uow.EmbeddableUOWManagerImpl.runUnderUOW(EmbeddableUOWManagerImpl.java:365)
   at org.springframework.transaction.jta.WebSphereUowTransactionManager.execute(WebSphereUowTransactionManager.java:281)
   at org.springframework.transaction.support.TransactionTemplate.execute(TransactionTemplate.java:124)
   at org.activiti.spring.SpringTransactionInterceptor.execute(SpringTransactionInterceptor.java:40)
   at org.activiti.engine.impl.interceptor.LogInterceptor.execute(LogInterceptor.java:33)
   at org.activiti.engine.impl.jobexecutor.JobAcquisitionThread.run(JobAcquisitionThread.java:63)

Can somebody please help me to understand, what I did wrong or is this a bug in the system?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

Outcomes