AnsweredAssumed Answered

Activiti Integration: How receive notification for UserTask

Question asked by joeysr20det on Jun 18, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 by naag
We are integrating Activiti into our own software standing up and configuring our own ProcessEngine. We've managed to get most everything working, but we're a bit stumped on handling UserTasks when they are encountered in a given Process Instance. We are creating our own Activiti Explorer type interface that will query the engine's task service for a given user to display tasks they need to complete. I've got a good understanding on this portion, so my question is:

Is there any way to receive notification from the Process Engine saying "hey user blah needs to complete task blah"? I can't seem to find a place anywhere on the ProcessEngine instance, any of ProcessEngine's services, or an a ProcessInstance to place a listener. I know you can manually insert a listener in the BPMN XML for a workflow, but I don't want my user to have to add a listener on every single UserTask they put in their workflow. The only way I can think of right now, is to occasionally poll the ProcessEngine's TaskService looking for tasks to complete. Our software is very large with tons of data and thousands of users, polling is just too intensive for our application.

Is there anything I have missed here?

Thank you for your time.

Outcomes