AnsweredAssumed Answered

BoundaryTimer sometimes not working

Question asked by dokmatik on Oct 19, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 by jbarrez
Activiti version is 5.10.

Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue which itches me lately.

Being unable to upload an appropriate image I will try to illustrate my issue with the following (primitive) drawing
|————|
receiveTask   ————>[ex gateway]
|————|
       [boundaryTimer]———–^
There is this receive task having a boundary timer attached to it.
The boundary timer itself is configured with a time duration = PT1S.
From both elements receiveTask and boundaryTimer outgoing flows lead to the same exlusive gateway.
(I know this is some workaround for the TimerCatching Event, but the time I started modeling the process the designer did not provide the TimerCatchingEvent).

In about 99% of my process instances this works without any flaws.
But from time to time somehow the execution flow stops at the [receiveTask] and does not continue. In ACT_RU_JOB I see a corresponding entry too but which has been updated in a manner when jobs are usually picked up by the engine giving the impression of proper continous execution.
Having looked in ACT_HI_ACTINST I find a corrsponding entry for the [receiveTask] activity with an exact time duration of 2 days. 2 days is exactly my timeout period I configured for the application. So after 2 days the job gets reiniatiaed and the execution flows as expected.

I have run out of ideas where to look to narrow down the cause of this problem ?
My latest suspicion is that I run into some kind of concurrency issue in a manner that updating the entry in ACT_RU_JOB and selecting for available jobs are not synchronized properly. But this may be a long shot.

So any hints are appreciated.

Thanks
dokmatik

Outcomes