AnsweredAssumed Answered

Centralized User/Group Management - best practices?

Question asked by udoderk on Mar 10, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 by jbarrez
Hi everybody,

we have a native business process m. system, that manages our employees' units (and has different database as activiti, but same DBMS as activiti), that are equivalent to user and user groups in activiti. On basis of such units, the user and user groups, that are relevant for the business process, will be a) assigned to it's user-tasks b) transmitted to activiti via REST API.

If user settings or assignments to user groups will be changed in native business process m. system, so the settings of users/user groups must be updated (Because currently activiti not supports updates, patch was created).

to eliminate such Syncs, the following ideas were discussed:

1. migrate the activiti database to database, that used by native business process m. system and realize the mapping our employees' units - activiti user and user groups
2. Don't migrate the activiti database to database, that used by native business process m. system nd realize the mapping our employees' units - activiti user and user groups
3. Realize the centralized User/Group Management - in this case both native business process m. system
and activiti would be use the same extra database, that hold the user/user groups/assignments tables. The extra (UI) application would be developed to manage that.

If more as one database is used, more as one db-connection pools must be have (Or recalculation db-connection pool depending on use-case (aa) user-user-groups bb) other entities/tables) needed.

Right now i can not estimate exactly, how many changes in activiti-engine must be done, to realize the 1., 2. and 3 possibilities.
At first glance at the activiti engine API i can only assume that the 1. is simpler as 2. and 3.

My question is whether the best practices is to realize that (centralized )User/Group Management ?

Thank you for answers

Outcomes