AnsweredAssumed Answered

Delete Process Instance doesn't mark end of HistoricProcess instant and loses deleteReason

Question asked by zoenzo on Apr 26, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 30, 2013 by frederikheremans1
Hi,
I used RuntimeService.deleteProcessInstance to delete some old process instance by using the following code. The reason I add the processDefinition to the DeploymentCache is that they are some old definition and is not in the cache since the system has restarted many times.

if(pi.getEndTime()==null)
      {
         DeploymentCache dc =((ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl)processEngineConfiguration).getDeploymentManager().getProcessDefinitionCache();
         ProcessDefinitionEntity pd =(ProcessDefinitionEntity)dc.get(pi.getProcessDefinitionId());
         if(pd==null){
            pd = (ProcessDefinitionEntity)repositoryService.createProcessDefinitionQuery().processDefinitionId(pi.getProcessDefinitionId()).singleResult();
            dc.add(pi.getProcessDefinitionId(), pd);
            this.runtimeService.deleteProcessInstance(processId,"user delete");
            dc.remove(pi.getProcessDefinitionId());
         }
         else
            this.runtimeService.deleteProcessInstance(processId,"user delete");
      }
this.historyService.deleteHistoricProcessInstance(processId);

It throws a exception says that the process install is still running. After debugging, I found out that deleteProcessInstance method does not mark end of the historic process instance which means that the "endTime" field and "DELETE_REASON_" field in the database table "act_hi_procinst" is null after the method invoked.
Therefore, I search the forum and found out this issue is fixed in ACT-1098. But it still doesn't work in my project.
In my case, all the historic tasks are marked end with correct delete reason. But not the historic process instance.
Thus, I went to detail of the implementation code in ExecutionEntity.java.

public void deleteCascade(String deleteReason) {
    this.deleteReason = deleteReason;
    this.deleteRoot = true;
    performOperation(AtomicOperation.DELETE_CASCADE);
  }

After reading I haven't found any place in ExecutionEntity.java does the "mark end " work.
However, the HistoryManager.java, in the other hand, has the following code.

public void recordProcessInstanceEnd(String processInstanceId, String deleteReason, String activityId) {

if(isHistoryLevelAtLeast(HistoryLevel.ACTIVITY)) {
      HistoricProcessInstanceEntity historicProcessInstance = getHistoricProcessInstanceManager()
              .findHistoricProcessInstance(processInstanceId);

if (historicProcessInstance!=null) {
        historicProcessInstance.markEnded(deleteReason);
        historicProcessInstance.setEndActivityId(activityId);
      }
    }
  }

And the method is called from ExecutionImpl.

org.activiti.engine.impl.history.HistoryManager.recordProcessInstanceEnd(String, String, String)
      org.activiti.engine.impl.history.handler.ProcessInstanceEndHandler.notify(DelegateExecution)
             org.activiti.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.AbstractEventAtomicOperation.execute(InterpretableExecution)
                org.activiti.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContext.performOperation(AtomicOperation, InterpretableExecution)
                      org.activiti.engine.impl.pvm.runtime.ExecutionImpl.performOperation(AtomicOperation)

So, what my code doesn't work. And I got confuse of ExecutionImpl with ExecutionEntity.
Or is there any other method to delete a process instance completely.
My version is from 5.8 at the begining and upgrade to 5.10 and to 5.12 now.

Outcomes