AnsweredAssumed Answered

Evaluation of Activiti for a relatively small need

Question asked by p.bonanno on Aug 2, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 by frederikheremans1
I'm evaluating Activiti (and BPM in general) for some processes I'm developing, and I'm in the "build vs buy" dilemma…
I know little about BPM, so if my questions are already covered, please point me at the right places.
My processes are a series of SOAP webservices. There will not be human interaction, all the services are started by HTTP requests.
Every process is about 5-6 tasks with some async call. At this time, there will be 4 processes (but this number could grow).
Being a financial context, with legal implications, I want to be sure to introduce as few bugs as possible :), so I'm evaluating Activiti.
The processes will run inside a web application driven by Spring. I read the Activiti guide and it's integration is crystal clear.
My hope is to implement only the steps (as Java tasks) and then coordinate them with Activiti and get (as much fast as possible!) solid execution, auditing and errors recovery.
Aside technical questiones, I'd like to better understand pros and cons of using a BPM in my case:
1) Is BPM suitable for processes of this size, i.e. has it some drawbacks? (I think of not, but suggestions are welcome)
2) How much is simple to have an audit/report of every single process called in the past, with all relevant data (which I'll save on DB)?
3) How is managed a process fail? Is it possible to define a repeated execution, while it ends correctly? I.e. is this managed by the tool or programming is needed?

Thanks for your help

Pietro Bonanno

Outcomes